Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

That's kind of how I got started. Did all the little BS jobs that none of the bigger contractors wanted to mess with. I've always kind of been a jack-of-all-trades, so anything that came along that I thought was even barely within my abilities, I jumped on it. Don't be afraid to do something just because you've never done it before. There is a first time for everything, although sometimes the first time ain't easy and you learn the hard way. Do every job as if it were your own, to the best of your ability. Take pride in your work and always strive to please the customer as much as possible, although you can't please everybody 100% all the time, so don't be afraid to stand up for yourself either. Do good work at a fair price ( i said fair - not necesaarily cheap, cover your expenses and turn a profit every job, it s a business not a charity) and the work will come to you. I started out doing part-time work on the side for a year and a half while working a full-time job. Don't think you can jump in and earn a living on your own right off the bat. Work with as little capital as necessary - don't go borrowing thousands of dollars to start. I started with one truck that I paid cash for half of and borrowed the other half from my grandmother. Paid her back in six months and have paid cash for everything since except my skid steer which is financed. I rented a machine until the cost outweighed purchasing. It ain't easy, especially with this government and economy, but it can be done if you have the ambition and work ethic. Referrals are by far the best advertising, so always try to do the best job possible. In 4 years of being in business I have never put an ad in the paper and my number isn't even in the phone book. Good luck!