Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-13-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Opinions Needed!

well we homeowner wants these blocks around the beds. ths cool, i actually like doing this type of beds.

we are going 3 block high, w/ cap around the three beds in the yard. homeowner wants to only go 2blocks high w/cap accross the front the house. i dont it will look good. i think we should go three high across the front the house also.
the house is two story if tht helps
what do you guys thinks? and before anyone says anything all the old plant material is being torn out

2blocks high w/cap

3blocks high w/cap

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the two block w/ cap looks good. It looks like 3 may be a little tall for no more top soil than you have to work with, unless you are going to add more height to the bed.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Three might be a better option. As it stands now two rows with a cap isn't totally awful either.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 12-13-2011, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Two with the cap... that way you can still see some of the work behind after some plant work...
Old 12-13-2011, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

here is a view of the front the house! these will go around the two big beds in the yard(with the pine trees in them) and across the front the house

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 12-13-2011, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely go 2 w/ cap . The three will look very high from the street, like its fencing in something almost. If you were just to do around the house, i would go with three, but since you are doing islands and outlines of beds i would keep it simple and do two w/ cap and build the beds up about 4" lower than the cap

Beautiful house though.

Insured and Licensed
Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
Definitely go 2 w/ cap . The three will look very high from the street, like its fencing in something almost. If you were just to do around the house, i would go with three, but since you are doing islands and outlines of beds i would keep it simple and do two w/ cap and build the beds up about 4" lower than the cap

Beautiful house though.
thanks. i was hoping you would chime in. the house belongs to my aunt. the landscaping hasnt been touched since late 2006. my aunt really didnt care, after my uncle was killed by a drunk driver in Feb 2007. my uncle always took care of the yard.

Landscape Contractors

Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you are adding soil, definately only two high. Nothing worse looking than having a nearly "free standing wall" separate a low landscape bed from the low turf area. You shouldn't be able to see any of the blocks from the backside of the bed, only the cap. Hopefully you install those with a proper base to prevent heaving and settling.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler7692 View Post
Unless you are adding soil, definately only two high. Nothing worse looking than having a nearly "free standing wall" separate a low landscape bed from the low turf area. You shouldn't be able to see any of the blocks from the backside of the bed, only the cap. Hopefully you install those with a proper base to prevent heaving and settling.
proper base and drainage will be installed! thanks for the help

Landscape Contractors

Old 12-13-2011, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yuck... Just noticed you are putting those out in the lawn too. Try convincing her to put in a natural dry stacked flagstone wall. Would look much more natural.

If you are set on those ugly castlewall blocks, get a color that is closer to the color of the house. Needs more red in it.