Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2011, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No offense, just looks too commercial. If you want a manufactured block, get some Belgard Celtik wall blocks. They look great with the mixed sizes. Easy to lay also.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the block actually matches the brick. for some reason the color looks off on my camera. it was also getting dark when i took the pic.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd stick with 2 high, based off the photo look at the line of sight at the bottom of the window behind your mocked up wall.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 12-13-2011, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yea i realized the window line. gunna go with 2 high w/ cap.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 12-14-2011, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

better to go with 2 there....from the looks of the picture, by the time you get to the other corner (or other side of the sidewalk to the corner) you may be at 3 or 4 even....with the grade tapering down......be sure and sink one good enough too, if you're gonna add soil also
Old 12-14-2011, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
thanks. i was hoping you would chime in. the house belongs to my aunt. the landscaping hasnt been touched since late 2006. my aunt really didnt care, after my uncle was killed by a drunk driver in Feb 2007. my uncle always took care of the yard.
Glad i could give some insight, sorry about your uncle man. I am sure you will bring back the yard for her again. Keep us updated throughout the job.

Another thing you could do to make it look more "soft" per-se would be to use just one stone for the islands and bury it almost flush with the turf. Maybe 1" higher. This will give it a crisp look without a manufactured stone look, the compacted soil around the stone will keep the stone secured and then you could just edge/dig down the inside of the stone(in the beds) so it still is crisp and no mulch or pine stray is getting on the turf. This will make the focal point still attracted to the house and main landscaping instead of all of this stone from the road.

Insured and Licensed
Old 12-14-2011, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I was looking at your other thread and in the pics over there it looks like two courses might even be too much. I don't think you want the wall higher than the step at the porch. Pics don't always tell the whole story though. You could do that bed at three courses and see what it looks like. Then remove a course and see what it looks like. It's a little extra work, but there's nothing like seeing what it looks like for real.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by professional View Post
You could do that bed at three courses and see what it looks like. Then remove a course and see what it looks like. It's a little extra work, but there's nothing like seeing what it looks like for real.
yeah that doesnt sound like a complete waste of time at all...

id go 2 courses high and set the first course about 5" under. You really dont want to much wall sticking out. Im really not a big fan on the homecheapo material so im kinda biased but i would go with a natural flagstone stack with mortar to hold them in place

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Im really not a big fan on the homecheapo material so im kinda biased but i would go with a natural flagstone stack with mortar to hold them in place[/QUOTE]

I'm all about that if you can convince the client.