Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2011, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Stihl Kombi Paddle wheel attachment

I am thinking of getting a Stihl Kombi with the paddle wheel attachment for cleaning a lot of mud and debris off of pavement/concrete. I am wondering if the pavement will eat up the paddle wheel or if it should be ok? I have a skid steer and mini ex and will soon be finishing a job in a neighborhood and will have to clean a lot of mud left by the tracks. I had planned to just rent a box broom but I see this as a reoccurring problem and need a brush cutter/pole saw anyway.

I know they offer a bristle broom but if the mud is wet at all the tracks drop clumps that I think the paddle will handle better.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it will turn you mud tracks into mud pancakes!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't waste you money. I would wait for them to dry and use a flat shovel to scrape most up then use backpack blower for the rest.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Shindaiwa verson but I wanted to chime in anyway because I think they are essentially the same. I don't think the rubber paddle is the tool for your application...they're better for loose debris. They tend to just skim across the top of stuck-down mud on pavement. The paddle will be fine...the pavement won't eat it, but it's not going to get the mud up very well...I think you'll be much better off with the bristle broom attachment (although I've never used one). But I am sure that the rubber paddle broom is not what you want for your application if the mud is stuck down at all.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Gave my Shindaiwa paddle wheel away it was a piece of crap the units didn't produce enough power to use it. I do own the paddle wheel for the kombi and its great for sand which we use it on a few commercial properties in spring that's it. What your describing would require a bristle wheel to dig out the mud and they do make that for the kombi as well. But if your not sure get both of them they are only about 200 each.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, the rubber paddle is a little more expensive than the bristle wheel.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Gave my Shindaiwa paddle wheel away it was a piece of crap the units didn't produce enough power to use it. I do own the paddle wheel for the kombi and its great for sand which we use it on a few commercial properties in spring that's it. What your describing would require a bristle wheel to dig out the mud and they do make that for the kombi as well. But if your not sure get both of them they are only about 200 each.
The paddle wheel is $308 and the bristle is $269. Do you know of a place online that sells them at a discount?
Old 12-16-2011, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My dealer but iv also spent 60-75k with him over the last 8 years so I might get a little break. But stihl does fleet rates on 6 units or more and as of sept when I bought 6 new back packs attachments now counted as units so you could get that out of a kombi system with a few attachments and perhaps a backpack or chain saw.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
My dealer but iv also spent 60-75k with him over the last 8 years so I might get a little break. But stihl does fleet rates on 6 units or more and as of sept when I bought 6 new back packs attachments now counted as units so you could get that out of a kombi system with a few attachments and perhaps a backpack or chain saw.
I'd like to but right now thats not in the budget. I decided to go with the KM 130 and the paddle. I appreciate the input so far and although it sounds like it won't be good for wet mud, I move enough dirt etc I do think it will be helpful with clean up overall. Plus I want to eventually get the brush cutter and chain saw attachments anyway so I figure the extra power of the 130 will be nice.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Id love to have a 130 but 5 years ago when I went to buy the unit the 110s and 130s were back ordered with no date listed to when we could expect them. So we have a 90 now I use it mostly as a 8 and an 11 foot extension hedge trimmer. And we do about 10k worth of pruning a year so she has seen some serious use then we also use it for the paddle wheel and that small motor has plenty of power for that. And this year we got the chain saw attachment and then we got a hurricane so that also got a ton of use. So if the little 90 can do all that for 5 years your going to love what the 130 can do.