Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2011, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1toomanyhobbies View Post
I agree. i think this will most likely turn into deeping the edges of the pond when he realizes how much it will cost to dig it out.

I'm curious what everyone thinks about making an island in the middle out of the silt? This would give a place to put the silt and short distance to move it. Then put a top layer of dirt or sand so it doesn't look like crap. Any comments good or bad?
I will admit I don't have a lot of experience with ponds but have dug plenty of soupy mud and just wondering how you would stack the silt to make an island and not have it just ooze back out into the pond?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
That's an excellent idea, push everything up to the middle, or even several smaller islands to make the digging and pushing faster.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Ron, I'm glad you support the idea. If I am only moving the dirt say 30 yards, do you think using the mini and skid steer is still crazy? I know a full size hoe and dozer would be more efficient but is it a pipe dream to think I can use what I have?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93turbo View Post
I will admit I don't have a lot of experience with ponds but have dug plenty of soupy mud and just wondering how you would stack the silt to make an island and not have it just ooze back out into the pond?
My plan would be to bust the dam now in the winter and give it several months to dry out. I already set the customer's expectation that the pond would need to be drained to do the work. The bad part is the spring is the wet season so it might would take waiting till the summer to actually do the work. When I go see the customer I'll have to see what is his timeline.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks Ron, I'm glad you support the idea. If I am only moving the dirt say 30 yards, do you think using the mini and skid steer is still crazy? I know a full size hoe and dozer would be more efficient but is it a pipe dream to think I can use what I have?

It's possible, but your going to be there ALONG time with a mini ex and skid steer.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have to much time to comment on this, but mud won't stack with out being withheld someway, even come summer time the top 6" might look dry but you'll still have 2' to ?? who knows how much mud.

But to keep this simple your simply "In over your head on this one".
Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatexc View Post
I don't have to much time to comment on this, but mud won't stack with out being withheld someway, even come summer time the top 6" might look dry but you'll still have 2' to ?? who knows how much mud.

But to keep this simple your simply "In over your head on this one".
My thoughts exactly. If you removed 3 ft from the lake on average thats almost 60000 yards of material. Thats about 4000 dumptruck loads of material.

Or 70000+ buckets with a skid steer. or 280000 sccops with a mini ex. I hope your grease gun is ready!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
My thoughts exactly. If you removed 3 ft from the lake on average thats almost 60000 yards of material. Thats about 4000 dumptruck loads of material.

Or 70000+ buckets with a skid steer. or 280000 sccops with a mini ex. I hope your grease gun is ready!
Easy Tiger! If you read my original post I recommended either reducing the pond to 6 acres which at 3 feet deep is 9798 cubic yards or creating islands which say at 4 acres worth of island it goes to 13064.

If I go the island option i could create several smaller ones which reduces the distance needed to move the material. After sleeping on it I agree a mini and skid steer wouldn't be the right option. However i am now wondering what if I rent a 160 to 200 excavator to get the material from the edges to several rough piles and then use the skid steer/ mini to actually create the islands. I could even wait a couple weeks in between to give the piles a chance to dry out some depending on if the material is wet at 3 feet deep.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Easy Tiger! If you read my original post I recommended either reducing the pond to 6 acres which at 3 feet deep is 9798 cubic yards or creating islands which say at 4 acres worth of island it goes to 13064.

If I go the island option i could create several smaller ones which reduces the distance needed to move the material. After sleeping on it I agree a mini and skid steer wouldn't be the right option. However i am now wondering what if I rent a 160 to 200 excavator to get the material from the edges to several rough piles and then use the skid steer/ mini to actually create the islands. I could even wait a couple weeks in between to give the piles a chance to dry out some depending on if the material is wet at 3 feet deep.
I just realized the amounts above are for 1 foot deep, not 3. So to remove the amount of dirt would be tripple the numbers. need more coffe in the morning.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've done lots of work on sediment control ponds , there is no way you can do it all with a mini ex and tracked skidsteer. The mud won't take form so building the islands isn't going to work. As soon as the pond fills back up your islands will just turn back into silt and slough back into the pond. Best way is get 2 6 inch pumps, pump it down and attack it with a 20 tonne ex. Working with silt is alot different then working with dry dirt. Charge the guy by the hour and make sure you have some swamp mats .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
I've done lots of work on sediment control ponds , there is no way you can do it all with a mini ex and tracked skidsteer. The mud won't take form so building the islands isn't going to work. As soon as the pond fills back up your islands will just turn back into silt and slough back into the pond. Best way is get 2 6 inch pumps, pump it down and attack it with a 20 tonne ex. Working with silt is alot different then working with dry dirt. Charge the guy by the hour and make sure you have some swamp mats .
Posted via Mobile Device
Siphons are way cheaper, just my experience. free actually if you own the pipe

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall