Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-20-2011, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman2007 View Post
Siphons are way cheaper, just my experience. free actually if you own the pipe
I remember seeing a video of you using a siphon. Don't they cost like 900 to 1200 depending on the size?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
I've done lots of work on sediment control ponds , there is no way you can do it all with a mini ex and tracked skidsteer. The mud won't take form so building the islands isn't going to work. As soon as the pond fills back up your islands will just turn back into silt and slough back into the pond. Best way is get 2 6 inch pumps, pump it down and attack it with a 20 tonne ex. Working with silt is alot different then working with dry dirt. Charge the guy by the hour and make sure you have some swamp mats .
Posted via Mobile Device
yeah, I think i have finally come to terms the mini and skidsteer aren't going to cut it. I had thought about digging a trench in the dam to let the water drain and keep it like that for several months to give the silt a chance to dry. You don't think that would work for creating an island? I ask because I don't think there is any way the customer has the amount of money for hauling the material out.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Won't the silt wash into a tributary creating another issue?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=8lXl7tdJ7iY
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2011, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chris- didn't even think of the siphon. Good call.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2011, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

this has to be a joke right? a mini and skid steer to dig out 6 acre or 12 acre pond? that would take about 20 days with 3 trucks and a 40 ton hoe busting ass and not traveling far to dump. it would cost about 70-80k and that is only removing 3 ft of material.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Seeing your in NC I would just give the guy Chris's number since all you have is a skid and mini. But like he already said, the guy will probably crap his pants at the price tag anyway. Just sayin...
Old 12-20-2011, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighornjd View Post
Seeing your in NC I would just give the guy Chris's number since all you have is a skid and mini. But like he already said, the guy will probably crap his pants at the price tag anyway. Just sayin...
I told him about Chris the first time we spoke. He said he had just started thinking about this project and wanted someone to tell him his options. If he really is serious about doing the whole pond i would definitely call Chris because there isn't any way I could handle it. However right now it has been a great learning experience because I have never thought of a project on this scale. Even though i ask some really dumb questions sometimes, i am learning a lot. My guess is he will decide to just dig out 10 feet from the edge down maybe 3 to 5 feet. I do think i will be able to handle that with the mini because I do have mud mats.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not trying to discourage you but even digging ten feet out 3-5 feet down the whole way around is goin to take a long time with a mini.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2011, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As someone who owns a mini, I think I can say that unless you are planning on renting a larger machine, you should pass on this project. If you do this for an hourly fee, and the farmer somehow agrees to it, then you that's great for you but lousy for him. And if you somehow agree on a set fee comparative to what a larger machine would charge, then you will be working for pennies and it's lousy for you.

This is a bulk excavation job and there's no way you can compete with a larger machine on a price/volume removal rate. It's just the way it is.