Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2011, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurkn with amish View Post
boiled fish yummy..........
A 1500 watt heater may be slightly overkill. Unless this unit has an adjustable thermostat, I wouldn't recommend it. Hope that you read this before you spend the $60.00.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
A 1500 watt heater may be slightly overkill. Unless this unit has an adjustable thermostat, I wouldn't recommend it. Hope that you read this before you spend the $60.00.
It's in the back of my car....

By overkill are saying it will defrost too much ice?

And I don't know if it has an adjustable thermostat....but I'm going out to get it now./
Old 12-21-2011, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

There is not an adjustable thermostat...
Old 12-21-2011, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

These people at "Pets Paradise', as the old saying goes, 'Saw you coming'.

Thermo-Pond manufactures a 250 Watt unit that retails for about $65.00 and a 750 Watt that retails for about $70.00. These are made for ponds and are thermostatically controlled. In fact, the 1500 Watt that you purchased may be a Thermo-Pond product, as they do list a 1500 Watt unit. These should be easily found on-line. If not, contact me and I can have one drop shipped to you.
Does the unit that you bought have a pre-set thermostat? If so, and it is pre-set to maintain just above freezing temps, it may work OK. If not you will see substantial increases in you electric bill plus run the risk of upsetting the balance of the entire pond.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I returned it yesterday...
Old 12-22-2011, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
These people at "Pets Paradise', as the old saying goes, 'Saw you coming'.

Thermo-Pond manufactures a 250 Watt unit that retails for about $65.00 and a 750 Watt that retails for about $70.00. These are made for ponds and are thermostatically controlled. In fact, the 1500 Watt that you purchased may be a Thermo-Pond product, as they do list a 1500 Watt unit. These should be easily found on-line. If not, contact me and I can have one drop shipped to you.
Does the unit that you bought have a pre-set thermostat? If so, and it is pre-set to maintain just above freezing temps, it may work OK. If not you will see substantial increases in you electric bill plus run the risk of upsetting the balance of the entire pond.

Thanks for the offer tadpole, but I had completely forgotten that I'm going to Toronto to spend Christmas with my family, so I phoned my brother and he's going to pick me up one on Saturday.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

The trough heaters from tsc are thermostacly controled they have an internal that's set at bout 34 degrees.. I have used them for years.. The thermal pond 100 watt is good for small ponds only.. They also have a problem of actually leaking.. The seals on the float go bad n start to fill w water, I've had many that has done this.. The only time I suggest a heater that is 1000-1500 watts is if the pond is a large one usually 2500 gallons and up.. But this also in my area.. Farther north I probably would suggest one of that size due to the ice thickness you get..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2011, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

The one my brother is getting for me is a Thermo-Pond 3.0 100 watts. The place I called said it would be marginal, but if I still use the 200 watt unit I have now, it will work.

But what they didn't have an answer to was how and where to place them. The "pond expert" is off do his Christmas shopping today...LOL

What are your thoughts

Last edited by Niagara Falls; 12-22-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

That model has been known to leak in the float ring. It will fill up with water and sink. A good heater at the same price is called "perfect climate heaters" they come in different sizes. I would only every use a thermo pond 100 watt in a preform pond.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner_landscaping View Post
That model has been known to leak in the float ring. It will fill up with water and sink. A good heater at the same price is called "perfect climate heaters" they come in different sizes. I would only every use a thermo pond 100 watt in a preform pond.
Glad to see someone jump in that can give First-Hand knowledge. Even though I may know the science behind the topic, the only actual experience that I usually have with ice is in my refrigerator's freezer compartment.