Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2011, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sitting Wall With Built In Grill

We did a small sitting wall with a built in grill, This was another "new" type of project we took on and really enjoyed doing.

First off My office for the week

First we set some string lines to mark where the patio edges was so that we could run the inside of our wall directly up to this point, Then we pulled out about 2' of patio to give us some working room.

Then we set some forms so we could pour a footing for our project, Im sure we could have compacted rock but I wanted this to last so we used a concrete footer, We also drilled holes for piers to help with any shifting that may occur so that it does not begin to lean. We also placed some pvc pipe where the piers will be in case HO wanted to add lighting in the future.

Couldn't get concrete on day 1 so that was it for the day.

04 duramax crew cab w/flatbed

21", 33" WB, Trimmer & blower let the lowballing begin yes I have chainsaws big & small, polesaws & more..... if it's orange & white it turns me on

Landscaping Design, Installing both Hard & Softscapes
Old 12-21-2011, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Day 2 the big pour day !!!

21", 33" WB, Trimmer & blower let the lowballing begin yes I have chainsaws big & small, polesaws & more..... if it's orange & white it turns me on

Old 12-21-2011, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Day 3 & 4 we laid the stone, Kind of like playing with legos

Old 12-21-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old 12-21-2011, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old 12-21-2011, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Great work.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

looks good, I am just concerned with the retaining wall you have there. It looks like you added the cheap little retaining wall stones that you get at lowes to the top of the concrete wall. I dont know a lot about walls, but with you building right up to it, that is a lot of weight behind that now, and it seems that some sort of geogrid should have been put in and take more of the existing patio out to install it.

My other question is drainage. Which was was the water draining off of that patio. I did not see any daylights or any kind of drainage system for that matter. I think it looks good, just some concerns, can you please clarify.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
Great work.
Thanks!!! I was pleased with most of it.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
looks good, I am just concerned with the retaining wall you have there. It looks like you added the cheap little retaining wall stones that you get at lowes to the top of the concrete wall. I dont know a lot about walls, but with you building right up to it, that is a lot of weight behind that now, and it seems that some sort of geogrid should have been put in and take more of the existing patio out to install it.
lol I knew that I should have clarified that we didnt do that part, I know its a matter of time, who ever did the patio pitched it to that retaining wall by a little over 3", When we put in our level forms you could really see how much of a slant was on it I brought the Ho out and politely as I could explained to them why it appeared my wall was going to look off due to the slope of patio.

We got all our grades and kept them with a laser level transit, if you notice in the pics there's a pic with a 2x4 stretched across with 6' level on it was like a 13' span cant really see it in the pic but its dead on.

Quote:
My other question is drainage. Which was was the water draining off of that patio. I did not see any daylights or any kind of drainage system for that matter. I think it looks good, just some concerns, can you please clarify.
Only option I really had was to use the paver's we pulled to pitch the water to flow out to the opening, the patio is sloped so bad towards the retaining wall that I don't think it will be a big deal.

The HO called me and wanted a price for pulling up the whole edge of the patio about 4' in on the side of the retaining wall and relaying them and doing so kind of border so that it was stable, I don't think he liked the price cause we never got called back to fix it.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
cheap little retaining wall stones that you get at lowes to the top of the concrete wall.

I didn't order any of the stone, HO did all that and you know that has its issues, Everything came from menards look at the sitting wall the cap is actually patio stones with spacing nipples and all. Best part is the HO over looked the counter top portion and when it was realized we found out it was going to take 3 weeks to get it so I ended up making it myself.