Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-26-2011, 07:50 PM
sweetland's Avatar
sweetland sweetland is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pawtucket RI
Posts: 1,439
How to get commercial accounts

Hey everyone. I have been in business for a few years now and have a good customer base which is mainly residential but with a few commercial accounts mixed in. I have either inherited the commercial account or they have contacted me for an estimate but in the past when i have tried to call them or mail them anything I don't normally get a response so my question to you is, how do you go about getting commercial accounts?

Yes, i am fully aware that you have to do great work and have good people skills and all that good stuff so i don't need those kinds of answers. Im asking how you have gotten your commercial accounts and also how do you find the head of an HOA?

All answers will be appreciated, thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Mikegyver Mikegyver is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Longview TX
Posts: 1,803
I'm interested in this also. All I can say is its all in who you know but that's not good enough.
Mike
__________________
High end commercial, multi-family and residential lawn care, irrigation (LI and BPAT), and landscaping.
Mikegyver Pics Thread
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-26-2011, 08:36 PM
7625 7625 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Central Mississippi
Posts: 62
If you ever get a good answer let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-26-2011, 08:39 PM
NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC's Avatar
NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 1,186
In my opinion and experience I feel the best way to get in the door is to go to a commercial complex or apartment, etc., and talk to the manager and simply ask if you could be added to their yearly bidders list, this will more often then not get you the opportunity to bid in the future, Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-26-2011, 10:34 PM
olebrooklawn olebrooklawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: brookhaven,mississippi
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC LAWN CARE View Post
I'm interested in this also. All I can say is its all in who you know but that's not good enough.
Mike
hey man you got pictures of that mower for sale? how much you asking?
__________________
Sam's Services

2006 F-250
52 Exmark lazer Z
60 Kubota zg227
John deere push mower
2 Fs 90 R + egder
128 husqvarna
echo blower
600 br blower
NEW
Dump truck
Back hoe
Bob Cat
Bull dozer
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Mikegyver Mikegyver is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Longview TX
Posts: 1,803
Look in the pics section on my pics thread...bunch of pics there. Its going to have to be a good offer for me to get rid of it
__________________
High end commercial, multi-family and residential lawn care, irrigation (LI and BPAT), and landscaping.
Mikegyver Pics Thread
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-27-2011, 01:40 AM
Lawnut101 Lawnut101 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West Bend WI
Posts: 2,201
Honestly some commercial work isn't as good as its cracked up to be. I do mainly residential work, and find it to be less cut throat. If a customer likes your work, you end up being the only company they call period. They pay your price and appreciate your hard work. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely good commercial jobs out there. But most of them just take cheapest bid each year. The key to gaining good commercial accounts is to do good work and give a fair price.
__________________
2011 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2007 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 4x4
2007 GMC 3500HD Dump
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-27-2011, 02:31 AM
FoghornLeghorn FoghornLeghorn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC View Post
In my opinion and experience I feel the best way to get in the door is to go to a commercial complex or apartment, etc., and talk to the manager and simply ask if you could be added to their yearly bidders list, this will more often then not get you the opportunity to bid in the future, Good Luck!
I would have to respectfully disagree there. I have "cold called" hundreds of commercial sites like you described here, and have NEVER, I mean NEVER gotten a job or a callback, or one shred of interest by using this approach.

My commercial jobs all have come from knowing someone or being referred. My accountant turned me on to one job, I was my HOA vice president of another job, I'm in the business league with another guy who got me in front of the table to bid a job, in the Chamber of Commerce with another guy.

Most of the time, apartment managers are not the ones with any authority to select vendors or make changes to current vendors, it's all run through their corporate office in another town/state. They'll act polite and take your info/bid/card, but 9 times out of 10, they are just some poor Joe Blow sitting behind a desk with no authority to help you out.

Just my experience.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-27-2011, 02:54 AM
NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC's Avatar
NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCastille View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree there. I have "cold called" hundreds of commercial sites like you described here, and have NEVER, I mean NEVER gotten a job or a callback, or one shred of interest by using this approach.

My commercial jobs all have come from knowing someone or being referred. My accountant turned me on to one job, I was my HOA vice president of another job, I'm in the business league with another guy who got me in front of the table to bid a job, in the Chamber of Commerce with another guy.

Most of the time, apartment managers are not the ones with any authority to select vendors or make changes to current vendors, it's all run through their corporate office in another town/state. They'll act polite and take your info/bid/card, but 9 times out of 10, they are just some poor Joe Blow sitting behind a desk with no authority to help you out.

Just my experience.
I never once said Call anyone!!! Introducing yourself and striking up the conversation is what will get you more info on who to talk to if the manager, etc. doesn't handle the vendors, I've never once had someone NOT lead me in the right direction, Just my experience.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-27-2011, 03:33 AM
FoghornLeghorn FoghornLeghorn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 708
I did not phonecall anyone, I used the term "cold call" when referring to driving around to apartments and getting out of my truck and talking to the manager.

There are better, more productive ways to meet people in actual decision making positions. Join the Chamber of Commerce, a Business League, the Rotary Club, anything but driving around trying to get people to like you enough to let you bid on their projects.

I've done it all, and for me, I will never again just pop into a site and talk to them about their landscaping. It was a waste of time for me. Your experience with this method might be different, but I don't know how.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
business , commercial account , commercial bid , hoa

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 PM.

Page generated in 0.10177 seconds with 9 queries