Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Getting to the right person in the HOA

I saw one of your questions pertained to "how do you find the contact person in the hoa". In Georgia, all you have to do is look on the Secretary of State web site and type in the subdivisions. Most times, if you just type in the subdivision name followed by HOA, it will pull up the officers of the HOA or management company. I have 2 HOA's that we manage and they both were a result of doing this web search. Good Luck

2008 Ford F250
2011 6.5'x16' Tandem trailer
2009 6'x12' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Exmark Lazer 48"
2011 (2) Exmark Turf Tracer 36"
2009 Exmark Navigator 42"
2009 Scag Tiger Cub 48"
2- Exmark Metro 36" (backups)
Stihl & Redmax Handhelds
Old 12-27-2011, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7625 View Post
If you ever get a good answer let me know.

+1 Ive asked this. So has everyone else in their 3rd or 4th year. Then theres "how to get customers (period)" Then theres "how do I get 100 customers" The best answer is "try".... vague, but theres no formula. Plus the best advertising techniques wont be given up easily.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes Landscaping View Post
In Georgia, all you have to do is look on the Secretary of State web site and type in the subdivisions.
I pulled up ours in Tennessee and can't find this information. Any ideas of would be great. Thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes Landscaping View Post
I saw one of your questions pertained to "how do you find the contact person in the hoa". In Georgia, all you have to do is look on the Secretary of State web site and type in the subdivisions. Most times, if you just type in the subdivision name followed by HOA, it will pull up the officers of the HOA or management company. I have 2 HOA's that we manage and they both were a result of doing this web search. Good Luck
This was very helpful thank you! I had to search around on the site but finally I found the right link and there was a list of the Condo associations and everyone's info. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2011, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone else with more info please chime in, all hints or things you have done would be helpful for everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2011, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There is a group called CAI. Community associations institute. Join that. Its expensive but it puts you in contact with anyone who is anyone in the HOA business. Each area has a chapter.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman201 View Post
I pulled up ours in Tennessee and can't find this information. Any ideas of would be great. Thanks
Once you get the SOSweb page pulled up, do a corporationb name search based on the subdivison name and it should pull right up. Let me know if it doesnt work and I will try to help when I get home. Good Luck

2008 Ford F250
2011 6.5'x16' Tandem trailer
2009 6'x12' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Exmark Lazer 48"
2011 (2) Exmark Turf Tracer 36"
2009 Exmark Navigator 42"
2009 Scag Tiger Cub 48"
2- Exmark Metro 36" (backups)
Stihl & Redmax Handhelds
Old 12-27-2011, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCastille View Post
I did not phonecall anyone, I used the term "cold call" when referring to driving around to apartments and getting out of my truck and talking to the manager.

There are better, more productive ways to meet people in actual decision making positions. Join the Chamber of Commerce, a Business League, the Rotary Club, anything but driving around trying to get people to like you enough to let you bid on their projects.

I've done it all, and for me, I will never again just pop into a site and talk to them about their landscaping. It was a waste of time for me. Your experience with this method might be different, but I don't know how.
I would be careful doing apartments they are cheap and usually fussy. Retail and factories can be the best to maintain in my book, if you really want commercial work.
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Join a local property management association group. In central Virginia they have a group that has a huge meeting every year. It cost me @ 50 to join for a year and attend the annual meeting and lunch. I volunteered to belong to the education committee and met lots of people. From that annual meeting, I met two OWNERS of property management companies and have had sales appointments with them. Network, network, network!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

bottom line when it comes to commercial,condos or rental properties is HOW MUCH ? they shop price i dont care how good you service the account they will always question your bid with a cheaper one. I have a few commercials and there a pain they hold your money for long periods of time and they dont want to pay to have anything done extra unless it is desperately needed. When it comes to snow plowing thats about the only time when commercial accounts are good because they need the service and they will pay for it as long as its the cheapest bid they can get. Very few private commercial properties put extra money into keeping a nice landscape and im not talking about Merck or johnson and johnson because we all know brickmen and USI eat those big commercials up for a cheap price.

Best thing to do is stick to resi youll make more money and be able upsell your customers and if your name gets around the town youll never have a shortage of work. Commercial comes with size i have found the large landscape outfits have more commercial accounts because they offer a long scope of work in terms of weekly cutting ect. Also the bigger companies have a huge overhead and when winter hits the need that plow account to cover the bills for the winter. just like tree services do work in the winter to cover the insurances
7x14 enclosed trailer for lawn maintenance crew
7x20 heavy equipment trailer for hardscaping crew
1 Bobcat
1 Bob cat back hoe ct230
Concret mixer

AND A HELL OF A LOT OF HEADACHES

Tags
business , commercial account , commercial bid , hoa