Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2011, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

LOL

Nope, the only reason we figured it out was purely by accident. I was down getting fuel for the mowers and just shooting the breeze with the gal down there. Apparently her husband was hauling fuel for the Gas Stations and made a HUGE whoops in listening to the owner of the station and dumped half a tanker truck of Diesel into the unleaded tank.........so the gas station owner (which is a complete idiot by the way) just told him to finish filling that tank with unleaded and no one will ever know a mistake was made.

We ended up running highly diluted unleaded fuel in the mowers for a few days. Only thing we can figure out it was getting past the rings or something. Just one of those strange things you run into.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That was my next guess. Im surprised the engine performance didnt drop off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2011, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

someone was not checking the oil level properly
Old 12-28-2011, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd be worried. Adding diesel fuel lowers the octane rating dramatically increasing the risk of engine knock. If they ran without making any knocking sounds they should be fine though.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 12-28-2011, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordtimothy View Post
LOL

Nope, the only reason we figured it out was purely by accident. I was down getting fuel for the mowers and just shooting the breeze with the gal down there. Apparently her husband was hauling fuel for the Gas Stations and made a HUGE whoops in listening to the owner of the station and dumped half a tanker truck of Diesel into the unleaded tank.........so the gas station owner (which is a complete idiot by the way) just told him to finish filling that tank with unleaded and no one will ever know a mistake was made.

We ended up running highly diluted unleaded fuel in the mowers for a few days. Only thing we can figure out it was getting past the rings or something. Just one of those strange things you run into.
That would have been the last time I was went there. Luckly the owner didn't get sued.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 12-28-2011, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Don't know how I missed this thread when it appeared. Reminds me of an incident that occurred with me about 3 or 4 years ago. A widowed gal called me and informed me she couldn't get her mower running.

I always throw in a few tools and a can of brake cleaner when I go to make a pick up of a no start problem. I pulled the air cleaner, gave it a shot of brake cleaner and it started briefly, belching dark smoke and smelling like diesel. One smell of her fuel container revealed that, at the gas station, she had filled it with diesel rather gasoline.