Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2011, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Funny landscaping stories....!

Ever had a really bizarre customer, a strange request, an embarrassing moment or something really hilarious happen on the job?

Please share!! We can all use a laugh or two.

YardGal" & Your friends at New Holland
http://www.lawnsite.com/extremedream2011
Enter to win a New Holland L218 Skid Steer!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Many years ago I was in an area that was all elderly clients.
My oldest client "Bill" was in his 90's. Every time I showed up at his property I would always ring the bell or go looking for Bill.
His neighbors, friends and family were always concerned about Bill. He refused to go into a nursing home and wanted to do everything himself. Bill hated the fact that he had to pay someone to cut his lawn; he wasn't used to paying anyone to do anything.
One day I showed up and went looking for Bill. He didn't answer the door and wasn't in the garage. As a walked around the back of the property, I saw bill lying on the ground in 100 degree heat and he was lifeless.
I immediately went to my truck and got on my cell phone (mounted in the truck of course, we didn't have any other phone at that time) and called 911. I went next door and got the neighbor, she too called 911. I was horrified that I had found my old friend in this condition. As the Rescue team showed up within minutes I couldn't bear to see my old buddy so I stayed at the neighbor’s house.
About two minutes later the paramedics came walking around the corner....... and Bill was with them! He was walking as well.. I ran over and asked what had happened. Bill explained that he was enjoying the sun and taking a small nap, and that I was just like his family. I should quit worrying about him.
I really felt like an idiot at the time! Bill was the best customer I ever had and I sure do miss him. Looking back.... I can laugh about it..
Old 11-20-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I maintain a plantation style home with around 20 acres, the owners are a really nice couple in their early 60s. Over the years I have become very good acquaintances with them. One day they asked me to check on some special plants because they were having a hard time growing. Turns out they had around 15 weed plants with a spidermite problem. fixed it for them for free just because I thought it was really cool that someone would trust me like that. Needless to say he tried tipping me with some devils letus but I've never really been a big fan so I grabbed a beer instead and headed back to work
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Just before thanksgiving I had the start of the worst day ever. To start, the first two yards of the day needed cutting and leaves removed. They both got run over to pick up leaves and as the mower was near the street and I was walking in the driveway, a neighbor walking his dog passed by and told me my mower had a flat. No big deal, it's a Walker and the mower was near the trailer. After a minute, I looked at it and it was not one, but both of the rear tailwheels. Both flat as could be and off the rims. Thought I had felt it acting funny while I was cutting!
I go back to the shop and grab another to keep going. When I finished all of the cutting I loaded it back on the trailer. As I'm navigating through the mowers on the trailer I rip a big gash in my pants on the front of my thigh--pretty. I hung my pants on the torn up edge of one of my garbage cans we carry with us for clippings.
Doing a minor repair, smashed my finger with a hammer--nice. That sucked, but being a trooper, I push on to the next one.
In the middle of the third yard, I have to pee really bad and decide the best option is the woods around the corner from where I'm working. I have prostate problems and it makes me have to urgently go take a whiz. Long story short, walking into the woods requires me to walk near a house. I had waved to the homeowner several times and she did not wave back. Nor could I understand what she was saying because of a difference of ethnicity(white-black). Didn't know if she was talking to me or her kid. I go in the woods where I can't see the house or the road and pee. I come out of woods in a different spot and my housekeeper passes as I'm coming out and calls me to see if I was alright. Told her what was going on and that the homeowner was on the phone in her driveway and sure enough, here come the police. They detain me briefly, run my info., and quicky realize what was going on since I was near my stuff when they found me. The best part is, I grew up two streets away and mom and dad still live there. There have been a lot of break-ins in that area lately, so I could understand her concern----just didn't look right! Told the cop that I didn't mean to cause trouble, just had to pee, I know that he's probably going to write me a ticket. He wasn't concerned with that, just glad I'm a good guy.
Did I mention that all this was before 9:30 a.m.? Did a couple more yards and decided I'd had enough and I'd start fresh the next day! No more bad stuff for the day.