Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2011, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

convincing to contract out

The town I am from just recently put in a new FB field/track that is supposed to be ready by next football season. It is a small school district with not much money. I will be trying to convince them to contract out on the care and maintenance of the field. I am afraid if the mantenance crew takes care of it the field will quickly deteriorate since all they will do is just mow it.(The old field was in terrible shape due to this.) Other than the financial bonuses of having other activities held there and the field lasting longer does anybody else have any points of benefit to bring up? Thank you in advance.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you use PGR's, an effective (intelligent) fertilization program, they'll have to mow less, the turf will be denser, greener, more resistant to foot traffic damage, and save up to 25% in water usage.

That should be a good start...
Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Less mud mean's less slippage mean's less physical damage to player's mean's less financial liability.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Expert management will give you a better result. It is likely that an outsource company will have the ability to spray weeds--which requires a pesticide license, (not to mention proper equipment.)
Be sure to get a good company. Visit fields they maintain. Get references. Member of the association STMA.

A great field is a source of pride and good public relations. Potential location for championship games or regionals. Bad field is an embarrassment, players hate it, dangerous, muddy, and could potentially cause officials to move a game elsewhere. Or forfeit.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know the OP posted a while ago but...

What type of turf?

If it is cool season mix and in KS it might be, here is my opinion.

Turf regulators are the last thing you want on an athletic field. You want the grass growing to heal/fill in. A PGR will do more harm than good, the only place a PGR belongs on an athletic field is mixed in with the line paint....

Cut 2x per week to maintain your playing height, this will help reduce weeds and encourage lateral growth. recycle the clippings, by that I mean, leave them on the field, dont remove them, you will not have any clumping or mess if you follow the 2x per week schedule, this allows organics to return to the soil, reduce the fertilizer needed and it does improve the soil quality and help the field more than most will admit.

Depending on usage 2-3 aerations may be needed with seeding.

At the end of the season going into winter, give it a good aeration, seed with Kentucky Bluegrass, topdress the heavy traffic areas with quality topdress (usually between the hash marks and 35 yard line to 35 yard line) this will fill in divots and maintain your field crown.

Cover the high traffic areas (35-35yd line hash to hash)with turf blankets to give the turf a jump on the season in the spring.

A high quality fertilizer program, limiting the pre-emergents and weed controls for better turf growth and less exposure for the kids.

We maintain some fields with over 3000 children playing in the league with only 3 fields in use, heavy use doesnt even begin to start to explain this situation, fields are used almost daily from late april until mid november. We use the above recommendations I gave and it works, we have national teams and local colleges come in to use our fields because they are in great shape....

as far as Riggles comment about STMA, dont let that be a determining factor, we are part of STM of New York and will probably let the membership lapse, we dont see much benefit from the membership and just because I write a check to be a member does not make me smarter when it comes to athletic fields, experience and education do that.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

do you have any evidence to support PGRs being bad for athletic fields?

everything i have heard has been that they control the upward growth, but the grass still grows laterally and, depending on the time of year, the roots.

http://buckeyeturf.osu.edu/index.php...ews&Itemid=170

Here is the quote that stood out to me: "Many years of research with TE (particularly in the golf course industry) has shown added benefits of TE, including: (1) wear and stress tolerance, (2) better color and density, (3)extending the life of painted lines and logos, (4) improved turf peformance in shade, and (5) quicker spring green-up"
Old 12-29-2011, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The research that I came across does not show definitively that the use of PGR's in athletic turf is recommended...yet.

http://buckeyeturf.osu.edu/index.php...ews&Itemid=170
see last paragraph, research looks promising but not to the point of recommendation

I found plenty of studies testing it out and on a "highly managed" and not a "high traffic" field PGR seemed to work but the studies were done on fields that were only used for one season so the PGR's were applied in spring and summer to fields that were taken out of use in order to prep for fall use.

The OP said that his fields were going to be rented out for other activities which takes his field and puts it into a "high use" category which it is not recommended to use a PGR

I should not have said that there is no place for it other than in the paint, apparently there is some place for a PGR in athletic fields, but I have never seen that place as all the fields I take care of are used from spring til fall and used heavily, not the situation the research was based on.

http://www.sportsturfonline.com/ME2/...E3D4464352DF70
see the 3rd paragraph of the above article

In my opinion, a field that has the luxury of not being used in May, June and July in order to be prepped with PGR's for 1 season of footbal use is not a real world study. I am all for something to help keep fields playable but have them try this on a field that is used 7 days a week from April 15 to November 15 and then I will buy into it..
Old 12-29-2011, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Turf Hokie, you must be talking about cool season athletic fields and not warm season grass, because if you are talking about warm season grass not having it's place for PGR you are so wrong.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superintendent View Post
Turf Hokie, you must be talking about cool season athletic fields and not warm season grass, because if you are talking about warm season grass not having it's place for PGR you are so wrong.
See the 3rd line of my first post where i assume cool season grass and then state my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2011, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My bad