Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2009, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

infield damage

I have 419 tif bermuda infield that is overseeded with Axcella. When some vandals made bleach esigns we cut out the bleeched areas, resodded and overseeded again. recently some vandals drove on teh fielde. the infield had several car tracks on it. We leveled it and overseeded again. It is December21 with higs near 60 and lows near 25. We have sprayed it with Launch. Any suggestions as to how to get the seed to germiante and stay alive? We are considering artificial light. We do not have an unlimited budget.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Turf blankets raise temps about 10 degrees. might help
Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Thnaks for the reply. I have never owned a turf blanket. Is it something I will be able to use again? Is it something I should be using anyways? Where do you shop for something like that. My baseball field is in the Texas panhandle.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

turf blankets

If you search "turf blankets", you should find suppliers. Blankets can be used over and over. I know they can raise soil temps but I am not sure if they would raise them enough to germinate and mainatain seed. I am in New Jersey. Turf blankets can jumpstart turf in the spring and extend the growing season in the Fall. A fungicide is typically recommended when using blankets in the winter. Not sure if that is a consideration in your part of the world.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you. Some times fungicides are needed. It is fairly rare, but usually find out after the damage is already done. Is something called N-sulate the same thing as a turf blanket?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Not sure about nsulate. There is another thread concerning turf blankets on this forum. CoverMaster is a major producer of turf blankets.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

By this point soil temps are far from prime germination temp., You have a few options.... the smartest, and easiest, call your closest john deere landscapes or turf chemical distributor, buy a case of "wintergreen" turf colorant... so much better for the turf than overseeding in the first place haha.... or, you can pre-germinate the seed, soak it overnight... in a warm water... change the water out then soak another night... try to do this when soil temps will be higher... hope this helps... let us know how this goes... green divot sand would not be a bad idea...
Old 12-27-2011, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

CoachT

Does the colorant stain athletic uniforms where they will not come clean?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i am from Michigan, blankets would not be enough here. So you are trying to get the ryegrass to germinate? Pregermination in warm water is a good idea. You might also try watering with warm or hot water. Then cover. Also clear plastic or solar pool cover is a possibility--just keep a lot of thermometers around so you don't go overboard. Black plastic would work--solar heating--but once sprouts start you need light. Under ideal conditions (about 85 degrees) ryegrass should germinate in 72 hours.

Artifiicial light won't help, its heat you need. You could try electrical heating tapes like the kind they use to prevent pipes from freezing, (but they only kick on when its below 32). Or...cover it with a tarp and blow hot air from a portable heater under the tarp. Insulated tarp would be better. I hope something works--let us know.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And "Goalkeeper" seed perennial rye, is particularly fast germinating.

http://www.simplot.com/turf/jacklin/...ap=1&prodid=75

Also good wear and disease resistance.