Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2011, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

The monkey grass was what I thought to be leryeope if it I that and were mine like I said I would take it out and mabey transplant it in a mass on the left corner
Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I looked online and Liriope muscari is what the monkey grass is. I like the idea of transplanting it to the left corner. Would the liriope be the only thing in the left corner or would I add a larger plant also? I really want to get rid of the edging, I'd like to add some areas into the garden for seasonal color flowers. So if I could incorporate some small patches of color in front of the china boy hollys without it looking awkward, that would be ideal.
2 Echo SRM-225 Trimmers
Echo HC-150 Hedge Trimmer
Husqvarna Backpack Blower
Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartselleLawnEnforcement View Post
Should I get rid of the monkeygrass? seems like it would look cleaner without it.
Yeah it will look so much better without it on the right. You might be able to transplant it in a mass on the left corner.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I would definetly mass it on the left corner. Have fun
Old 12-30-2011, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i see that alot around where i live...a tree/shrub or several that are taller than the roof of the house....i don't like that at all....i'd say cut that jap maple down to the height of the christmas wreaths on the windows. i just did a trimming job for my sister in law about a month ago...there was 5 crape myrtles all about 2 feet higher than the roof of the house....i just hate that...branches growing into the house...hitting the window everytime a storm comes along....things like that....i cut them all way down about half as high...some would call it crape murder lol...but it makes the house look so much better....those things grow 4-5 feet taller over a season....you have to cut them the size you want them to be....if you keep letting them go they will overtake the house....it's different when they are out in the middle of the yard or something. you can let those get a little bigger. but a 15-20ft tall tree right next to the house is not something you want.

you may want to rip out the jap maple completely....just an idea....the best thing is small bushes that only grow to about 3ft tall maximum....that way there's very little trimming that has to be done each year if any at all.....otherwise you have to spend alot of time trimming each year.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan alyssa View Post
I would definetly mass it on the left corner. Have fun
Alright, massing it to the left sounds best. I guess I'll go ahead with the china boy hollies and the bronze center things. I'll have to see if I can add some seasonal flowers somewhere in the mix..
2 Echo SRM-225 Trimmers
Old 12-30-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartselleLawnEnforcement View Post
Yeah, I looked online and Liriope muscari is what the monkey grass is. I like the idea of transplanting it to the left corner. Would the liriope be the only thing in the left corner or would I add a larger plant also? I really want to get rid of the edging, I'd like to add some areas into the garden for seasonal color flowers. So if I could incorporate some small patches of color in front of the china boy hollys without it looking awkward, that would be ideal.
monkey grass is liriope spicata, IMO i would dig it up like ryan said, but if you do a mass planting of monkey grass, get verigated kind or liriope spicata veriegata. The verigated gives a little better color and doesnt spread out nearly as bad, as far as the arborvitae goes he was talking about, i would sub that out with some type of holly or something, arborvitaes put a bit of acid in the soil and you wouldnt want that if your going to put other plants around it. not sure if its a shaded area or not, but i may suggest throwing a few hostas in there, some sedum would give nice color.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roeslandscaping View Post
monkey grass is liriope spicata, IMO i would dig it up like ryan said, but if you do a mass planting of monkey grass, get verigated kind or liriope spicata veriegata. The verigated gives a little better color and doesnt spread out nearly as bad, as far as the arborvitae goes he was talking about, i would sub that out with some type of holly or something, arborvitaes put a bit of acid in the soil and you wouldnt want that if your going to put other plants around it. not sure if its a shaded area or not, but i may suggest throwing a few hostas in there, some sedum would give nice color.
Alright, verigated it is....

I figured the arborvitae wouldn't do well, since it needs sun anyway.
2 Echo SRM-225 Trimmers