Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2011, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When to start advertising in WI?

When would be a good time to start advertising in South Eastern Wisconsin? I have 5,000 door hangers that i would like to get out at the right time. Not to early and not to late. I am done with my temporary job at the end of feb beg of march. Anytime after that i would have time go around and hang the door hangers.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We usually pass out fliers every month during the growing season. We hit the same neighborhoods at 3 times, yes the same 1, and yes 3 months in a row.

Suggestion: Get a website and get it SEO(optimized)

I haven't been in the phonebook for over 2 years and we continuously grow every year ever since. All of our clients have been either word of mouth or articles I've written or our website.

Back to your question: March is a great time to start, find the neighborhoods you want to pick up accounts and re-visit them every month
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
3 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 12-29-2011, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

SEO(optimized) what is that? I made my website & host it through yahoo. Its only like 12.00 a month with email accounts as well.

I was thinking March as well. I hope to get some new accounts with all the advertising i am doing! Also i am going back to school in fall at MATC for Horticulture-Landscape Associate Degree. So maybe that might help with getting accounts.

Congrats on all the success!
Old 12-31-2011, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Start early and go often in the neighborhoods you want. You are always money-ahead to get your customers clustered together. Start the day the snow melts. Say March 10. If you can recruit some kids to help that is always a plus. (Need supervision--of course).
Remember a lot of other companies will be doing the same thing. Its a lot of walking. Be ready to pass out a very good brochure--you don't want walk 20 miles and and pass out a door hanger that is inferior to any other company. One percent response is typical. Half of those are sold, typically.

And do not quit at 5. Lots of people get home about 5--be absolutely ready to measure and quote any time you get the chance. Have your sales pitch well-memorized With a little luck you should be able to sell about one house an hour. Feel free to park your truck in front of their house with the flashers on to attract attention. (Wash your truck.)

Last edited by RigglePLC; 12-31-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmann_lawn View Post
... Also i am going back to school in fall at MATC for Horticulture-Landscape Associate Degree. So maybe that might help with getting accounts. ...
Don't count on that meaning anything to people who are looking to have lawn work done... Most people see dollar signs when a yard monkey gets educated... If you can afford the time and money then fine, but nothing succeeds like actually doing it...
Old 12-31-2011, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So you don't think the schooling would be good? I figured if i can;t get my business going i would try to get a job working for someone else. Would you guys rather hire someone who has the knowledge with an education + experience than someone who doesn't. I'm only 19 so i figured i should go to school before its to late. My parents are also happy i made that decision. I think it would be good for me to learn a lot more than i already know. They go over landscape construction, Design, plants trees, turf etc..