Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-31-2011, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkintheGarden View Post
It can happen, last summer I planted a weeping colorado blue spruce in a new bed with a lot of other plantings and the customer watered frequently. I cannot be absolutely certain, but it seems like the poor thing got watered to death.

Also if the plant is planted in a low space where water collects it can be too much. If you combine that with a freeze you can get a plant in a big chunk of ice.

Over watering does not happen often, but it can, especially with some varieties that do best with less moisture and you have problems with root rot. I have seen roses suffer from over watering.

Sometimes it is not just the overwatering but also poor drainage that occurs due to situations or due to hardpan having been created beneath the soil.
Yes those long term environmental conditions are relevant over time. If you do not have good drainage, then drainage needs to be provided.

What I was referencing is the newly planted/transplanted arborvitaes... for the first 2 or 3 days they should be flooded as much as possible to settle them in, and once the excess water has drained off they are good to go... true of everything I plant, not just arbs...
Old 12-31-2011, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Yes those long term environmental conditions are relevant over time. If you do not have good drainage, then drainage needs to be provided.

What I was referencing is the newly planted/transplanted arborvitaes... for the first 2 or 3 days they should be flooded as much as possible to settle them in, and once the excess water has drained off they are good to go... true of everything I plant, not just arbs...
That is true, everything gets soaked for a couple days, but two weeks of wet roots can cause diseases or just plain drown some plants, meanwhile some can live with wet roots.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkintheGarden View Post
That is true, everything gets soaked for a couple days, but two weeks of wet roots can cause diseases or just plain drown some plants, meanwhile some can live with wet roots.
Exactly... The rootzone should be drained and moist before the ground freezes, esp. in heavy soils...

My old story about the irrigation guy claiming that the hillside was set by him correctly and the fact that I bumped the amount of irrigation for that zone, had drown the newly planted shrubs that were placed by his crew...

I dug up the dead plants and found that the rootball was bone dry because it was never soaked in at planting time... still wrapped in burlap the ground around it had aqdequate moisture, but inside the burlap water was not getting through...
Old 01-01-2012, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat48 View Post
Personally i wouldnt,not a good idea for here we already had a couple frosts and i am done for the season been since first week of dec.
listen to bobcat. since hes an expert....
Old 01-01-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, the bobcat post doesn't make much sense.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNyz View Post
Yes, the bobcat post doesn't make much sense.
I'm surprised he didn't say "looks good" for a while there i thought that was his auto-signature