Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Who knows about 2010+ Deere D series skid steer repairs?

Our 2011 332D machine has the 3.0L 5 cylinder Deere engine, a 5030 JD engine, has 75hrs on it and developed a slow oil leak. Dealer has had it since 12/11 and said its the oil pan leaking, factory defect or whatnot.

They're telling me now on 12/28 that it could take until the end of next week to finish. Saw the machine yesterday sitting in front of one of their garage bays, not yet worked on still.

Does anyone know if something like that would need to have the engine pulled or can they unbolt anything from the bottom of the machine? Without seeing one in front of me, i'd assume these engines would have to come out to repair anything underneath?

They said its a really big job to complete... our machines are mint condition, spotless inside, so anything leaking was a red flag. Will be thrilled its covered under warranty but still, they'll have it close to a month, worried if we get snow soon since its supposed to be on a site a week ago.

Looks like this, but this is our 319D track version.. just for reference.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dont know what their holdup would be. Yes the engine would have to come out. Or so dang close to being out , ya might as well pull it anyway. Was the same with the earlier series also. 2 day job start to finish.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
Dont know what their holdup would be. Yes the engine would have to come out. Or so dang close to being out , ya might as well pull it anyway. Was the same with the earlier series also. 2 day job start to finish.
damn ok. I looked under another one of ours, a 328D and there is a 12" x 12" bolted on plate underneath near the engine... id assume its just to drain the oil and access but im sure the oil pan cant come out of that.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oil drain is via a hose in the rear of the machine. No need to climb under and drop belly pans. The belly pan is an access hole to bolts and for cleaning out. Yur right, no way the pan will come out. Also the oil pickup tube is in the front cover and down into the oil pan. So you have to really tilt the heck out of it to drop the pan out. I just find it faster and safer to pull the engine. Sorry to hear of yur bad luck with the new machine. I'm sure the dealer will report this to Deere.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im a HUGE believer that once a machine has come apart to that extent it will NEVER be the same. Other things will come loose, leak, break, become contaminated. Its just the start of problems.

If it were me i would be spitting flames, i would want them to take that machine back or cover that machine under a extended warranty for at least 4,000 hours.

That brings me to my second issue. Why can excavators and loaders and dozers all run for 10,000 hours with very few issues and a CTL is about worthless at 2,000 hours?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never be the same?? Its just an engine R/R. Remove engine, remove oil pan, reseal and install engine. Not that big of a deal. If nothin else, you just got yur first oil change outta the way and coolant flush. Coolers all get blown out, a good wash job.
Most of the dozers, excavators and loaders that run for that long are all large machines running 24/7/365. And the fact is.. they have issues! But the defining fact is.. they have ALL had professional operators at the controls and professionals maintaining them on site. Skid steers and mini ex's are like the family car, everyone uses it but no one steps up and maintains them.
ANY piece of equipment is designed by humans, built by humans, operated and maintained by humans. Things happen. It suxs. As a dealer or a repair shop, all you can do is act accordingly, quickly and get it repaired right the first time. What more can you do? Same as if you make a mistake on a landscaping job, mowing job or whatever. You talk to the customer, you make it right, they're happy, yur happy.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Make them give you a loaner machine until fixed!