Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Are you suggesting that customers will see brown grass/weeds, and think the lawn needs more water? One cannot outsmart winter by turning the lawn into a swamp. If so, that is what I meant by the water "fixing the cold weather." If not, I missed your point altogether.

Last edited by Keith; 01-02-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Are you suggesting that customers will see brown grass/weeds, and think the lawn needs more water? One cannot outsmart winter by turning the lawn into a swamp. If so, that is what I meant by the water "fixing the cold weather." If not, I missed your point altogether.
Yes, that was it. & you are correct, one cannot outsmart winter (or any type of turf stress save drought) by turning the lawn into a swamp. There remains a large group of people that continue to believe that any browning of their turf lawns is a function of lack of water. They have a difficult time making the bridge between cause, effect and proper treatment.

We do try to educate them, and many do learn, but for many others the first response to turf stress is water. Somehow I'm convinced this problem is pervasive in S. Florida.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Today I have a good chill and strong winds. We are out wrapping a few of the vulnerable plants.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2012, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantculture View Post
People go nuts with the impatiens in late October in our neck of the woods. Landscapers make some nice extra money on the plantings, and PCO's can charge extra for Plant health care.
Since we don't have snow, why the heck not. Whatever floats your boat.
Plant

"Whatever floats your boat," but ten ton Impatiens in one yard doesn't float my boat. It is way over stated and I am a Believer in LESS IS MORE when it comes to Class not Crass. Sorry But IMHO My Puerto Rican neighbor's yard with all the lawn Ornaments and plastic pin wheels looks about the same Class level.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Plant

"Whatever floats your boat," but ten ton Impatiens in one yard doesn't float my boat. It is way over stated and I am a Believer in LESS IS MORE when it comes to Class not Crass. Sorry But IMHO My Puerto Rican neighbor's yard with all the lawn Ornaments and plastic pin wheels looks about the same Class level.
I agree with the point about your neighbor, but plant is stating the impatiens is good extra money for everyone. Sorry, but I'm not going to turn away the work considering how good the margins are bc it doesn't float my boat. Around here, people spend thousands upon thousands on winter annuals. I think Jvan needs to cut his back at the most.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
I think Jvan needs to cut his back at the most.

Nature might do it for him this evening.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Plant

Ric,
I appreciate your sentiment, which reminds me of a house I parked in front of in the Wynwood district (very sketch) in Miami for Art basel. The guy had a miniature Christmas village taking up the entire driveway.