Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2011, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Soldier thinking about Starting up LawnCare business!!

I am new to this site as this is my first post. I know this is another post asking for advice in starting up in this industry. I have a buddy who has been in this industry for about 10 years and wants to begin his own adventure but doesn't want to invest in doing it alone so this is where I come in at. I have been flirting with the idea of becoming a small business owner for a while now and I am very interested in getting started in this industry. My initial plan was to buy a business from a guy that is retiring but he wants my buddy to work under him for 2 more years so this owner can bank the money and after yr 2 I would run it while paying him 75K total with 3 yearly installments of 25K. I think I can do better from starting from scratch. I have a business plan written up and it looks ok. Here is my plan. I will re-enlist for another four years to get the business going. My buddy would manage the business and get a yearly salary. I would use my profit to pay off start up cost for the next four years since I will still be bringing in money from the Army. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless America
Old 12-28-2011, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Why re enlist?

You do not start a business by having someone else run it and you are not there to watch it.

Pay someone $75,000 to buy their lawn business? What is the equipment worth. What will it be worth when you have paid it off. Not enough info to say it's worth the money. Doubt it though.

For a lot less money you can buy equipment and start your own business.

Back to re enlisting, if that's what you need to do, wait, save your money, then start out on your own when you get out.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Why re enlist?

You do not start a business by having someone else run it and you are not there to watch it.

Pay someone $75,000 to buy their lawn business? What is the equipment worth. What will it be worth when you have paid it off. Not enough info to say it's worth the money. Doubt it though.

For a lot less money you can buy equipment and start your own business.

Back to re enlisting, if that's what you need to do, wait, save your money, then start out on your own when you get out.

Couldn't agree more and I would ad, that if your buddy doesn't have enough confidence in himself to succeed you have a real problem from the get go!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I was thinking that if your buddy was nervouse to start alone. Well when you re enlist, he will be alone. Not sure if thats your best bet. Good luck my friend. And be safe. ty for your services.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In theory, your plan will work just fine. In reality it will completely fail. You are looking for a way for your money to provide you with residual income. That will only happen when you are strong enough to make it happen. Your plan will fail because you are not strong enough yet - in business I mean.

Save your money - re-enlist if you need to. Pay cash for the equipment. Grow at a pace that you can manage. The business will never outgrow or outperform you. You have to develop as a business man and then, once you are strong and secure in that, the rewards will come.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 12-28-2011, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all for your honest feedback... Do I need to re-enlist probably not however I was looking at this industry to get my feet wet and use my buddy's knowledge to get the business going. I guess my intent is to start small for the next five years to make enough to pay the equipment off and when I get out lets say in another 3-4 years I can jump back in to start building builder. However, reading the responses you all make sense to either get out and start the business or stay in and wait till I get out to make that leap.

In regards to my buddy he is a good guy as I am picky on whom I would do business with. The only thing holding him back is of course money however he wants to manage and not own. not sure if that makes sense and maybe my plan isn't good based on what you all have seen in the industry.

Once again thanks for your feedback.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for your service. I wish that I had had the courage to inlist when I finished High school.

Do it by yourself, if you need help hire someone. And as always, goodluck.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

In my personal opinion, parterships don't work out well in the industry. Just my take on it.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Starting up your own business is both an exciting and scary proposition. You need to research the market well and gather as much intel as possible. The major question you need to answer is do you go it alone or do you move forward with a franchise concept?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart68 View Post
I am new to this site as this is my first post. I know this is another post asking for advice in starting up in this industry. I have a buddy who has been in this industry for about 10 years and wants to begin his own adventure but doesn't want to invest in doing it alone so this is where I come in at. I have been flirting with the idea of becoming a small business owner for a while now and I am very interested in getting started in this industry. My initial plan was to buy a business from a guy that is retiring but he wants my buddy to work under him for 2 more years so this owner can bank the money and after yr 2 I would run it while paying him 75K total with 3 yearly installments of 25K. I think I can do better from starting from scratch. I have a business plan written up and it looks ok. Here is my plan. I will re-enlist for another four years to get the business going. My buddy would manage the business and get a yearly salary. I would use my profit to pay off start up cost for the next four years since I will still be bringing in money from the Army. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless America
I say start from scratch and slowly purchase equipment you need as the work comes. I started with a 2 free push and blower mower my wife Grandpa gave. i bought a cheap trimmer and started by listing some mowing ads on craigslist. As i got more jobs i saved up to buy higher quality equipment.My start was back in May 2010. I use to only do jobs as far a 8 miles away. After trading in car for a truck my second month into it, my work doubled for me in 2010( i end up with 30-40 clients). As quality of work and equipment got better i got more work. Now i drive A 20mile radius around my home. First things first, take advantage of all free advertising online. I have a thread i post to help guy like you become more succeful just by using the internet.

Here is the link:
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367045