Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

If it works use it until you can get your own, when you ready start looking around. Craigslist is full of deals.. Try to go with "commercial" equipment if you can. Are you prepping your truck for the season(s) coming??? Good Luck!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

well i just changed the oil,this weekend ill put a new belt in it and change the transmission fluid,and i have a rack built,if thats what you mean by prepping
Old 01-04-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Great start, wheres the pics of the rack and truck? Im sure some other guys would want too see that as well... Metal or wood? I try to have everything possibly needed on my truck... Those few minutes of downtime add up.. I forced myself into the habit of every night after work to check and see if i need to get more of anything before going home...
Old 01-04-2012, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

ill put some pics up when i get a chance but right now the wooden rack is off it for the winter,i also sell firewood so its just one i threw together in 10 minutes for a big delivery,but it 6 feet long instead of 8 and as high as the roof on the cab
Old 01-06-2012, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That Toro is probably from the mid to late 90's and they were very notorious for having issues with the deck cracking around the spindles. It's also not going to fit in most backyards. On yards with contours it will scalp the crap out of the turf.

Find yourself a decent walk behind like a belt drive Scag 36 to start with. You'll mow three times faster then you can with a push mower. A T242 size string trimmer is about as small as you should try to go or you'll waste time being under powered. The cheap trimmers with be nothing but problems.

When I started I had great credit so I was able to buy everything brand new so I could work efficiently from day one. Good luck, there's a whole lot to learn.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 01-07-2012, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a Home depot card or ask your parents to get one and you pay it off.
Awaiting all the laughs now, but I started that way and did well.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

A credit card is pretty much what I did but do not get a Home Depot card because the interest rate will probably be 18% or worse. Plus if your going to have to borrow money to buy stuff spend more and get the better stuff that HD doesn't sell. Better equipment will allow you payoff the credit bill faster and your stuff won't be in the shop nearly as often.

If your parents have good credit they get credit offers in the mailbox almost daily. I just used an offer I received from my credit card company Chase that was good for 1.99% for 24 months. Just use your head on the payments and realize you need to pay the balance off as fast as possible. If you make the minimum payment you'll never get your stuff paid off and the interest will cost you more then the equipment.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/