Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-08-2012, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGuysLC View Post
I see no reason you alone cant do this is one day .. and still have time to knock out a few others. Sprinkler repairs here require no licensing. Seasonal flowers can get high so you need to follow previous advice and specify how many flats and of what you will include. Two mulchings are not abnormal. Bottom line here . . . You are trying to acquire a property you dont seem to be comfortable with. You are questioning alot here. If you are new and starting out you may need to acquire some lesser jobs to build on. I think you could handle this and sometimes we just have to learn from our mistakes. If you have your insurance and the right equipment then go for it. You need to get comfortable estimating your time. I have been in business long enough I know how long it takes my crew to service different areas. That is key. How long you will spend on that property a week. If you think you will spend 4 hrs a week then figure what 4 hrs of your time is worth. Mine varies.. running mowers cost alot more than weeding beds or spreading mulch. You can be talking anywhere from $35 for weeding or general labor to $80 per hr to operate your mower. And Definitely clarify your tree trimming... as already mentioned.. insurance dont cover you on much. You are a lawn service not a tree service. You should start building relationships with tree trimmers, chemical applicators, and even irrigation contractors. Even though I perform irrigation work I still get in a bind and need some outside help to stay caught up . The worst thing you can do is lose a customer bc you were too busy. If you get it fixed timely even though you had a sub do it the customer is still happy . Your Bid range I am gonna suggest be in the 12k to 14 k range, but again, had to say on the pics alone.
Thank you all for the great advice!
Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Irrigation is a significant exposure for you. You don't just turn it on and let it go. This is a very inexperienced HOA based on the specification they need a property manager. But irrigation needs to be checked monthly and fixed. Almost all problems could be blamed on you so you need to do an initial inspection to see what risk you have. The 10K budget is not a joke so you better figure out how to get close. Usually mulch is by the bag so there isn't any argument ab out you not putting it thich enough. Flowrs are also per tray. And flowers are a big maintenance item to keep them looking nice.
The main thing on trees is......they can't hit people riding on bikes. That is usually a no brainer and little cost. By the way you can't start at 7:00 usually not until 9:00 and you got to get off the property before they start coming home around 3:00. And the work should not extend into two days they hate the sound of equipment banging around outside.