Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a question OOmph. ..can you not create a customer list in excel or somewhere else just for that purpose? Just curious. I have been using basic excel sheets that I set up to track my billing. it works but takes much longer than i can spend now days. I need some quicker entry methods.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

And I am curious to Jims post .. what program are you running trial with?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

It looks like a good setup to me. I use an excel setup right now and its a complete pain in the butt
Old 01-11-2012, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm running the 6.3.2 trial version. Unless the paid version allows you to export customer lists to CSV or Excel, I don't see an option.

I suppose I could make a secondary list in excel, but that require double the data entry, and I'd have to manually sync the data. To me that's a waste of time and almost a deal breaker.

Someone please chime in if I'm missing the option.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi I'm new to posting but have been a member for awhile. Just thought I would chime in and say I use gopher I purchased it about 2 years ago it was time consuming to set up but rather easy. It works for me and takes the pain out of billing each month I just record my work each day and can print invoices with one click at the end of the month. Not sure if it works with mac or not though.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaway valley View Post
Hi I'm new to posting but have been a member for awhile. Just thought I would chime in and say I use gopher I purchased it about 2 years ago it was time consuming to set up but rather easy. It works for me and takes the pain out of billing each month I just record my work each day and can print invoices with one click at the end of the month. Not sure if it works with mac or not though.
"You Grow, We Mow"
Old 01-11-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Groundskeeper is a good program, but I wish it had additional features.

Such as a client/server model with a web interface, that allowed you to access the system from the field via ipad or android.

Also a customer portal or something could be cool, so that you have a clear communication with your customer and interfaces billing for them.

The closest thing to it that I've seen is Lawnaid, but it does a poor job implementing billing and has paypal as the only option. Some customers just don't use paypal, nor do they have the patience or time to register and make a paypal account. Also, I wasn't very impressed with Lawnaids customer support. I've been using the trial this past week and emailed a few questions without much of a response.

They don't have a support number, where you can talk with someone or anything.

Lastly, I don't like the software as a service model. Perhaps that's the network engineer in me. I don't like relying on someone else to secure my data and my customers data. How do I know they won't sell it and market it? How can i be assured that they follow all the correct steps in securing their web servers?

Personally, I'd rather host a small client/server application on my fios connection. Interface with it remotely via SSL ( the same encryption one uses online for banking), and restrict further access to it via my firewall.

At least this way, I have more control over my data and the security of my customers data.

I know that not everyone thinks this way, nor is everyone technically capable of implementing it. However, it's easier than you think.

This company looks like they offer something like that:
http://www.goservicepro.com/index.htm

However, it's not specifically geared towards the lawn care industry.

Which doesn't mean it can't be used for that purpose. I'm going to check the price and features out. However, if there is one thing that I've learned about software is that if they don't show you the price on their website, it's usually expensive.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok.. I just gave Gopher a trial run and I must say It is a little bit better than the Groundskeeper pro and it is a little less in cost. It will take some figuring out but I am getting the hang of it and think this will be my purchase. It will auto bill for monthly customers or add service cost as preformed. I like the scheduling feature better and I like the customer list and how it shows the balances without any further clicking. However... GK Pro is simpler to post payments to. Hmm.. I may need to play with them both a little bit more..lol I think either one is gonna do what I want... and both will pro have some limitations . Gopher exports to QBooks.. may have to talk to the wife and see if that will help her ..lol
Old 01-11-2012, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive been using Groundskeeper pro for 2 years now and I really like it. Just get all your pricing in when you enter the customer, and when you charge them all U do is click on the item your charging for. Its nice for taxes also, U can also make a route sheet to print for your guys. It works awesome for me and is easy to use. Also the last update was in 09.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigirish320 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a billing software but can't decide on what to use. A good friend of mine uses Groundskeeper Pro and he loves it but i want to make sure this is the best way to go before i actually spend the few hundred to get it. Unfortunately it doest work on Mac so i would have to use it on my back up PC.

My question are;

1. Does anyone use GroundsKeeper Pro? If so, how do you like it?
2. Does anyone have something that actually works on a Mac? There are a lot of threads suggesting programs but not much info on ones that actually get used.

Thanks for your help!
Take a look at quickbooks, you can run it on a mac a yearly subscription starts at $10/month. I have been using it for years - it will support your company no matter how big you get - if yoou do it bigger there is even a add on program that is specifically designed for our business.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker