Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-03-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-ville native View Post
One guy keeping up with over 90 accounts a week is pretty impressive. It's probably too early to tell since you aren't cutting much growth this time of year, but how much more productive do you think the 52 is over the 34 on those 49 properties? Would you have struggled to keep up with those properties in the summer had you stuck with strictly the 34? Reason I ask is because I run a small ztr on everything just so I could fit through all gates but sometimes I wonder how much more I could get done if I had a large ztr also.
I ran a 34 Gravely exclusively last season (I had 2 of them) and yes I struggled mightily at times to keep up. I had to work till dark on Sunday some weeks. I can already tell that the 52" is going to really help with productivity. Best case scenario would be to get a bigger trailer but I don't have that luxury due to limited space. Personally, I waited until I could use a bigger mower on at least half of my properties before pulling the trigger. I literally pulled out a tape measure at every account and worked it out. So far, I am very happy with the new mower.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
5 x 8 landscape trailer w/rack
SOLO OPERATION
84 accounts cutting grass and loving it!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That should be an awesome setup... with those 2 widths of cut you should be able to do every lawn efficiently. Not trying to talk you into anything here but your garage does look big enough to accommodate a slightly larger trailer. Nothing too big, but a 6x10 with a 3ft wide side ramp would allow you to fit the 34 sideways near the front of the trailer and leave you plenty of room for the 52. Only thing is the 21 might have to go in the truck bed. But since you live close to your lawns and schedule your days specific to what mower you use, a larger trailer plus the extra gas to tow it with might not be worth it in your case
Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

What happened to the Grandstand?
LawnBoy Push Mower
Stihl Trimmers
Stihl Edger
Stihl Blower
Shindaiwa Blowers
Stihl Hedge-Trimmer
Stihl Chainsaw
Billy Goat Walk Blower
Toro and Snapper Snowblowers
10ft Trailer
And Other Stuff!

Only 15 Years Old!!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguy27 View Post
What happened to the Grandstand?
I traded the grandstand for the smaller gravely. The toro kept breaking down over and over. It was a total piece.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
SOLO OPERATION
Old 01-11-2012, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a clear difference lawn View Post
I traded the grandstand for the smaller gravely. The toro kept breaking down over and over. It was a total piece.
Oh that's interesting.
LawnBoy Push Mower
Stihl Trimmers
Stihl Edger
Stihl Blower
Shindaiwa Blowers
Stihl Hedge-Trimmer
Stihl Chainsaw
Billy Goat Walk Blower
Toro and Snapper Snowblowers
10ft Trailer
And Other Stuff!

Only 15 Years Old!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I live close to my accounts (my furthest is 8 miles) so I will do 3 days with one mower - then switch up and do 3 with another. We live in a townhome - so I cannot fit a larger trailer in the garage. I got a great deal on the 52" $4699 otd. I also had money from the sale of my other 34z so I was prepared to spend over $8000. I literally went to 10 different dealers looking at mowers over a two day period and - in my opinion - this machine offered the most bang for the buck for my particular needs. Remember, I only do half my route with the big machine (it simply won't fit on some properties) so I can get away with a more entry level commercial machine. I like it because it is light and short vs more industrial models. I can fit it on my 5 X 8 trailer with a 21". I always have a push on the trailer. Here is a pic with my full rig. The setup is exactly the same with the 52" mower on.
I'm very new to this. I just have a question as to why you do 3 days with one mower and then switch up? Do you do maintenance on the mower you take out of service. Again, newbie trying to learn.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbell View Post
I'm very new to this. I just have a question as to why you do 3 days with one mower and then switch up? Do you do maintenance on the mower you take out of service. Again, newbie trying to learn.
In my case all my accounts are pretty close - so I put the bigger mower on every account it can reasonably fit. Accounts with small gates and large back yards or other access restrictions I use the small mower on. Yes - it also does help to have one mower down at all times for maintenance etc. Still trying to configure my garage to fit a bigger trailer - I just don't think it will happen.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
SOLO OPERATION
Old 01-22-2012, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I live close to my accounts (my furthest is 8 miles) so I will do 3 days with one mower - then switch up and do 3 with another. We live in a townhome - so I cannot fit a larger trailer in the garage. I got a great deal on the 52" $4699 otd. I also had money from the sale of my other 34z so I was prepared to spend over $8000. I literally went to 10 different dealers looking at mowers over a two day period and - in my opinion - this machine offered the most bang for the buck for my particular needs. Remember, I only do half my route with the big machine (it simply won't fit on some properties) so I can get away with a more entry level commercial machine. I like it because it is light and short vs more industrial models. I can fit it on my 5 X 8 trailer with a 21". I always have a push on the trailer. Here is a pic with my full rig. The setup is exactly the same with the 52" mower on.
Did you paint your trailer's wheels or were they already black? Either way it looks really cool. I may just have to borrow that idea since my truck and trailer are black
Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlemingIslandLawnService View Post
Did you paint your trailer's wheels or were they already black? Either way it looks really cool. I may just have to borrow that idea since my truck and trailer are black
I painted them. The white just did not look good to me.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
SOLO OPERATION
Old 03-04-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

how do you like your gravelys
Stihl Km90r with Trimmer and Edger Attachments
Stihl Fs100rx
Stihl Fs40c-e
Stihl Bg55
Stihl Ms180c
5x10 Trailer

And only 15