Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

100x 50 pond liner

I had a potential customer call about installing a liner in thier earthan pond. It has a light leak somewhere. They have tried reasealing with clay and bentonite with no avail and want a liner possibly.

How would you guy's go about doing this project. I'll post a pic as soon as I get them loaded.

The fun thing will be moving that big of a liner being 1500 pounds.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am guessing you would have to drain the pond out. Then trench along the permeter, next place the liner in the pond with the edges going into the trench. Backfill the trench, holding the liner in place.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

With this being an earthen pond, the question I have is what purpose does it serve. Is it a small fishery pond, a woodland habitat pond, etc.
I have never heard of Bentonite failing to work if it was applied correctly and the existing soil had enough clay content.
Are they planning on back-filling soil over the liner to ensure a healthy Benthic layer is maintained?
EPDM may not be necessary, if indeed a liner is mandated. Polyethylene or Polypropylene would be easier to install because of the lighter weight of the material. Polyethylene is the better choice, IMO, for it is considerably more flexible than Polypropylene though not as much as ERPM.
Some more details would help.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindblomRJ View Post
I am guessing you would have to drain the pond out. Then trench along the permeter, next place the liner in the pond with the edges going into the trench. Backfill the trench, holding the liner in place.
Yeah that's part off the plan, than I have to address the the drain under the liner to keep hydrostatic pressure relieved. I need to figure out a drain system that will stay sediment free.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tad it is just a backyard decorative/retention pond that houses goldfish and whatever else makes it's way into the pond. It's kind of hard to talk with the owner Michel speaking broken english. So I'm doing some redearch on this type of pond since I've never dealt with this type before.

"Are they planning on back-filling soil over the liner to ensure a healthy Benthic layer is maintained?" What do you mean by this in simple terms? Scratch that I got ya. I was planning on letting it silt itself in over time to see what type of sediment ratio's end up in the pond.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So there is a drain in place already? If so what do they have in place? Or are you talking hydrostatic pressure?

Veritas and æquitas
Old 01-11-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindblomRJ View Post
So there is a drain in place already? If so what do they have in place? Or are you talking hydrostatic pressure?
I'll have to install a drain to relieve any hydro pressure.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this a retention/detention pond that they were required to install. If so, you need to check with the local poobahs as to whether they will permit a liner. I would not advise letting it silt over without some type of substrate at least 6" deep.
You will need to drain the pond. When/if you install the liner, do not trim it because you will be putting the liner over wet soil. As the moisture percolates out and the soil underneath the liner dries, you will get considerable settling due to the weight of the water. Leave a suitable amount of liner around the entire perimeter just to CYA.

You will know if there will be a hydrostatic problem when you drain the pond.

Last edited by tadpole; 01-11-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added more stuff
Old 01-12-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Bentonite has to actually be tilled in to be used properly and it takes more than what you think as well. Also is this a spring feed pond or just collects water from every from runoff. etc ? I had a customer last year with a earthen pond that leak. It was roughly a 1/4 acre if i remember correctly. They needed the soil to create a new driveway so they dug a pond. I asked them why the just didnt put a liner in to start and they said contractor said it would hold water funny thing is i looked at the soil charts and concluded it wouldnt hold at anytime and called the extension office to confirm the site was sitting rock and shale deposites and just was a bad site. The liner was the only way to go the homeowner was not happy cause now its gona cost them double the amount cause they didnt line it in the begining. There is a liner designed especially for earthn ponds that i use and is half the weight of the traditional liners and is custom made to fit you pond size. Ther was no way i was gona use 45mil lol.. The weight of the liner was was roughly 5-6000 ponds. The other liner was 2000 pounds. You will need to install a drain tile under the liner to relieve the pressure build up. Also you will have to place 10-12" of soil over the liner like tad said. This not your basic pond so you have to think about in different way.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tad, I'll have to find out but I think they just put the pond in for natures sake. As he likes to hunt, hike, etc etc. I'll put in some kind of drain system for insurance. Even if I drain the pond and it DOES not pump water I'm still worried about runoff and other water getting under the liner and creating pressure.

Turner, can you send me the info on the liner? Locally we have both poly liners that Tad mentioned. 45 mil wouldn't be to bad for this project weighing 1500#, but lake liners are half the weight and a 1/3 cheaper.

What type of soil do you guy's suggest for the covering of the liner? A sandy loam, or just native soil without any objects of course? Any kind of soil test need to be addressed?

I knew with this project I would have to look at it differently, that's why I'm asking my peers.