Register free!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

good luck with this keith and keep us updated. I've never done anything like this before so I'm curious.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurkn with amish View Post
good luck with this keith and keep us updated. I've never done anything like this before so I'm curious.
Will do Bruce. You better get off the puter and get your salter ready. 1" snow but screwed everything up this morning being so cold all of a sudden.

Here is a pic of the pond and you can see where the water level usually is located.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Its called easy weave liner and easy pro produces it. Now its states that you dont need to cover it soil because the strength of the liner is stronger but you do that to balance your pond. Its basically like the xanvan liner that came out several years ago its a woven liner, As to your question about rain runnoff, there are different ways to do one would be to cut the liner into the hillsides and then cover back over the top the of the liner with soil this allows the surface water to go directly into the pond. You will need to install a drain tile under the liner as well as a over flow. The bottom drain would be a hard perforated tile that you would through the berm of the lowest point on the hillside so some escavating is needed if that makes sense to you. The overfill i would simply glue into into the same pipe that is coming from the bottom so that it all goes the same direction.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Judging from the picture that was posted, a hydrostatic relief valve or drain tiles may not be needed. The pond is obviously on a slope, so there should not be any great water accumulation. Any risk that may occur in a very heavy rainfall will be dictated by the present soil substrate permeability and/or the present depth of the impermeable layer or bedrock.

If this location is part of the watershed of a nearby public waterway, permitting may or may not be required for the installation of an overflow.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Judging from the picture that was posted, a hydrostatic relief valve or drain tiles may not be needed. The pond is obviously on a slope, so there should not be any great water accumulation. Any risk that may occur in a very heavy rainfall will be dictated by the present soil substrate permeability and/or the present depth of the impermeable layer or bedrock.

If this location is part of the watershed of a nearby public waterway, permitting may or may not be required for the installation of an overflow.
That is my thinking. If you think that a drainage system needs to be in place drail tile running the lengh out the far end with the pipe day lighted out would be my suggestion. Looking at the slope I agree that I don't think any drainage is needed.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm missing something with the no drain aspect. There is a lot of runoff going into this pond with 2 downspouts feeding it as well. I look at the drain as cheap insurance.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How far away is the house from the pond? How much water is absorbed by the soil between the house and pond?

Veritas and æquitas
Old 01-12-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Ponds and Waterfalls View Post
I'm missing something with the no drain aspect. There is a lot of runoff going into this pond with 2 downspouts feeding it as well. I look at the drain as cheap insurance.
If it will give you peace of mind, then, by all means, install an sub-liner drain.
All we are saying is that you likely don't need it. Surface run-off does not equate to hydrostatic pressure. In fact, the higher the velocity of run-off, the less likely there will be any hydrostatic pressure. The force exerted by the weight of the water in the pond will prevent any water being forced under the liner by any surface run-off that would be expected on a hillside.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wouldn't it stand to reason if there was hydrostatic pressure in place, woudn't the pond be sustaining its level? Unless there is a prolonged dry spell.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 01-14-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindblomRJ View Post
Wouldn't it stand to reason if there was hydrostatic pressure in place, woudn't the pond be sustaining its level? Unless there is a prolonged dry spell.
Exactly. Though possible, the chance of hydrostatic pressure occurring on a hillside/slope/grade is very slight. Maybe during a '100 year' event', but even then it would depend on the underlying geological formation.