Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-25-2011, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
I'm not convinced that trailer can support three pallets of turf let alone have room for them.

The truck must be adequate for the trailer, the load, and growth. To make a blanket statement that a 150 is sufficient is impetuous. Our enclosed trailers (22 x 8) are 2300 lbs empty, now add the equipment; 1 36" Metro, 1 53" Lazer Z; 1 60" Lazer Z and all the other gear, chainsaws, pole saws, edgers, blowers, fuel, etc. the weight probably approaches 6,000+ lbs. add the weight of a four man crew. The 150 series, 1500 series or the Rice Eater series are inadequate.

Of course, my trucks are dedicated to the trailers and I have a Ford Escape to commute.

Mike isn't using it with that big of a trailer in the picture. Looks like his is an open 5x12 (700lbs) That is an old trailer in my photo and it is only a 3500lbs axle. I use a 5x14 now and it's custom built with a tandem axle for SOD when I do it on occasion. For normal mow and go with 2-3 mowers the f150 is sufficient. BTW you're still within limits of a f150. Is it the perfect situation for your setup no it would be time to upgrade. I wouldn't consider your comparison very fair though.

Last edited by unkownfl; 12-25-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Mike isn't using it with that big of a trailer in the picture. Looks like his is an open 5x12 (700lbs) That is an old trailer in my photo and it is only a 3500lbs axle. I use a 5x14 now and it's custom built with a tandem axle for SOD when I do it on occasion. For normal mow and go with 2-3 mowers the f150 is sufficient. BTW you're still within limits of a f150. Is it the perfect situation for your setup no it would be time to upgrade. I wouldn't consider your comparison very fair though.
Fair enough; Apples to Oranges right?

Merry Christmas
Old 12-26-2011, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
F150 may be fine for now.....just the one that I have attached everything too sank like a low rider...but it could very well just be that truck.

I have no issue with the 150 for my current use which is really just hauling the mowers. The issue I have is as the economy turns around and more and more installs are getting done again....having something a little heavier might be nice. For now with my set up it would work I think but maybe not in the future especially if I ever had to do sod again myself without subbing it out. I did close to 40K in sod last year - and that is lots of pallet to pull if I ever needed too. As you said the 150 most likely is not going to find that Ideal.

And you are also correct in that the Jeep does not have a issue pulling the current set up. I want a truck but as I know it would be the "professional" thing to do...but honestly having cash in my account makes me feel more "professional" than what I drive.

A new truck is most likely coming for spring so I can get another trailer on the road.....but again at this point its main purpose is going to be hauling a small/light trailer like I use now slammed full of equipment to cut lawns quickly and efficiently as we can get them to the properties. So a F150 may work very well but I am still considering where I think the economy is going to go this next year and how my business is going to grow in it. They are starting to build again and going like crazy again in your old neighborhood of Windermere. They just cleared out some more orange groves there across from Keene's Point to start building...things are looking better overall but we will see.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
F150 may be fine for now.....just the one that I have attached everything too sank like a low rider...but it could very well just be that truck.

I have no issue with the 150 for my current use which is really just hauling the mowers. The issue I have is as the economy turns around and more and more installs are getting done again....having something a little heavier might be nice. For now with my set up it would work I think but maybe not in the future especially if I ever had to do sod again myself without subbing it out. I did close to 40K in sod last year - and that is lots of pallet to pull if I ever needed too. As you said the 150 most likely is not going to find that Ideal.

And you are also correct in that the Jeep does not have a issue pulling the current set up. I want a truck but as I know it would be the "professional" thing to do...but honestly having cash in my account makes me feel more "professional" than what I drive.

A new truck is most likely coming for spring so I can get another trailer on the road.....but again at this point its main purpose is going to be hauling a small/light trailer like I use now slammed full of equipment to cut lawns quickly and efficiently as we can get them to the properties. So a F150 may work very well but I am still considering where I think the economy is going to go this next year and how my business is going to grow in it. They are starting to build again and going like crazy again in your old neighborhood of Windermere. They just cleared out some more orange groves there across from Keene's Point to start building...things are looking better overall but we will see.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the new construction sod jobs. A lot of the big sod farms bid those cheaper than what they sell sod to you and me. I can't wait until all these foreclosure start getting bought up and the HOA start tightening up on getting the yards back in shape. Seems like most have been more lenient than in past years. I do see them starting to get stricter lately. You could always get a good f150 and a nice trailer and not really use the bed of the F150. I think overall it may just be cheaper to buy a medium duty commercial truck like an older f450+ just for sod if it gets that busy and use the smaller 150 as a mow truck. There is literally like a 30-40% fuel difference in gas f150 vs f250 and truthfully it's just not worth all the headaches anymore for the newer diesels and I love diesels. I keep getting contacted for foreclosure work and keep turning it down but truthfully I might just start taking it on and sending a 2-3 man crew in a v6 1/2 ton with a small 5x10 and a newer Wright 36 and let them go to town. Throw three weedeaters and a pair of edgers and blowers on too.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

When I bought my F350, my thoughts were exactly the same. I would buy a truck that could do everything. My intentions were to get a 20-24' enclosed trailer for mowing, and a dump trailer for installs. Fuel was still relatively cheap. At least compared to now. It never panned out. I bought a wide 16' open trailer and discovered it was almost too wide for the streets I traveled. I had two tires hanging off the side of the road at all times. I quickly decided that a 20+ foot enclosed probably was a terrible idea.

As of now I tow a small 6x10' trailer instead of my 16' because it's easier to get around small streets, doesn't chew up tires, and the truck does about 1mpg better towing that. I don't think the F350 was a mistake at the time, I just wouldn't do it again. If I need to do three pallets of sod, I can. But I did that with the F150 I had before. It's pretty obvious the high fuel prices are here forever. Buy a truck that will do what you are doing right now most efficiently while having the ability to do some heavier work. Not one that would fit a business model that may or may not ever come. If you spend quite a bit of time driving unhooked, I think you will be much happier with an F150 or whatever brand.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Purchased and Installed Faststraps today.

The install was simple enough and they appear to go on simple enough. I have been meaning to purchase these for awhile now to ensure that my equipment is secure when driving on highways like I-4 for sure just in case there is a accident I do not want one of my mowers coming out of the trailer and killing somebody.

Like I said, they installed quickly enough and seem like they will quickly latch on for short drives here and there, we will see and I will let you guys know long term what I think about them.

I use a chain that is clamped down to the side rails of the trailer and use heavy duty quick clips to clip it to the mower where it has thick metal. It takes two seconds to clip on and it also keeps the mower from sliding side to side.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pretty impressed with the Faststraps so far - they are really truly simple to use - especially if you leave them intact on removal and just slide them out of the way for your approach back into the trailer. That would be the only negative about them so far - is making sure they are clearly out of your way so your mower does not end up on top part of the strap making it either not able to be strapped down or able to be strapped down or not strapped down correctly kind of defeating the purpose.

Mr. Prolocker spammer - do not spam my thread or I promise you I will spam you PM box as well as your visitor messages.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, no joke.

we love ours, try spacing them out a bit farther one thing that helps is the straps loosening up cuz they are stiff. also, not being too close in your parking chocks to the tires when installing helps. give them a little bit more room.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
yeah, no joke.

we love ours, try spacing them out a bit farther one thing that helps is the straps loosening up cuz they are stiff. also, not being too close in your parking chocks to the tires when installing helps. give them a little bit more room.
Thanks for the Tip Ralph... I will try to set them a little further apart this week. I did put them in extra tight not knowing what to expect when I installed them.