Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickleylawncare View Post
Other than being insanely loud and dusty, I love the billy goat lawn vacs.. especially for oak leaves. Most other leaves, once they are dry ar epretty easy to just obliterate with the mulch kit but oak leaves don't budge, or get chopped up much. The same holds true for oak leaves in the billy goat, it sucks them up just fine, they just aren't going to be reduced down in size as much. The newer models are much easier to adjust; move the main nuzzle higher or lower to the ground.

On properties you maintain on a regular schedule, it might take an extra pass or going slower, but it still sucks the leaves right up. On properties where they have been neglected and really compressed into the SA grass, sometimes it easier/faster to blow them to a hard surface then suck them right now.

The billy goat has made our leaf clean up so much faster, it has really helped us sell the yearly contracts. When people ask what they are getting for their money in the winter months, the leaf clean up is part of it and now is almost effortless. As the mowing turns to every other or every three weeks, we have a separate trailer ( our old open trailer) with just two billy goats and some higher sides to hold in the leaves. We just dump/compost what we collect back at our house.
How loud are we talking? Enough to Pisa people off? Does it suck up mulch or rock bad? Does it suck up plants bad?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2012, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No louder than a mower or blower running. But they do blow out alot of dust. The hose option adds significantly to the price and I dont think it has enough reach. Im in the market right now for one of the shred n vacs, either Stihl ($279) or Echo ($330). They are easy to handle and it just takes a little practice to avoid picking up extra crap. They do work great for that "every last leaf" manicured look. Capacity is too small for large areas but perfect for beds and patio areas.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Patriot-off topic question. What blades are you running on your Wright? Do you get blowout with your mulch kit?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2012, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Right know I've got flats on for just that reason. Gators during the growing season until it gets too dry to run them. Back the throttle down a little to help.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

If its brand new mulch, it can grab some of it, but you can raise the nozzle up a bit and it typically leaves the heavier stuff down. With older matted down mulch, it doesnt really touch it much at all and sucks the leaves up great. When we are cutting a lot of taller hedges/shrubs that the clippings fall into beds you cant just hide by blowing, we almost always use the hose attachment. The hose works basically like any of those hand helds, just a lot stronger and faster.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Right know I've got flats on for just that reason. Gators during the growing season until it gets too dry to run them. Back the throttle down a little to help.
You run gators with a plate or discharge? Do you run your kit at all during growing season?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2012, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickleylawncare View Post
If its brand new mulch, it can grab some of it, but you can raise the nozzle up a bit and it typically leaves the heavier stuff down. With older matted down mulch, it doesnt really touch it much at all and sucks the leaves up great. When we are cutting a lot of taller hedges/shrubs that the clippings fall into beds you cant just hide by blowing, we almost always use the hose attachment. The hose works basically like any of those hand helds, just a lot stronger and faster.
Do you find the hose is long enough?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2012, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
You run gators with a plate or discharge? Do you run your kit at all during growing season?
Posted via Mobile Device
I ran all this year here with just the plate. It all but eliminated any stringers. I haven't discharged ever in FL
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2012, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like your best bet is the Shred N Vac, I have the Little Wonder Vac, works good on the big stuff after I blow into the driveway, but honestly, I think my helper and I can bag it faster. I may look into the Shred N Vac model as well.
34" Exmark Phazer
21" Troy Bilt
Shindaiwa Trimmer T242 (x2)
Shindaiwa Edger LE 242
Shindaiwa Articulated Hedge Trimmer AHS231 (x2)
Shindaiwa EB802 Blower (x2)
Old 01-17-2012, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I ran all this year here with just the plate. It all but eliminated any stringers. I haven't discharged ever in FL
Posted via Mobile Device
How are you not getting blowout or the line on the side?? Do you raise your deck or blades higher? I have run gators with the plate and it leaves the "clumps" on the top of the turf.....