Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I just didn't like the kit because of dropping all the clippings and staining walks and driveways every time I crossed. I use standard medium lift blades.
Yes, that's the biggest problem. At least with the plate you don't get staining. Those are the blades that come with the mower, right? Have you ever tried gators with the plate?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Yes, that's the biggest problem. At least with the plate you don't get staining. Those are the blades that come with the mower, right? Have you ever tried gators with the plate?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes I've tried gators and regular high lifts. I didn't notice much if anything they cut worse. I normally cut dry grass after 10am on the thick stuff. Usually do the crappy lawns earlier. The best blades I've found are mediums or highs that don't have a notch for the lift. The hardest grass to cut for me is common bermuda. It always has stripes like the deck isn't cutting even. I've tried different decks etc none seem to get an even cut.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am running the stock blades. It feels like the mower is under stress in thick grass but it still gives a decent cut with no visible clippings . Blowout doesnt seem to bother me unless going around a pool deck and hearing the grass in pool complaints. Now that oak leaves are getting ready to drop is when I threaten to pull the kit as it wont lift the leaves to chop them up. The john deere I have is excellent in thick grass but again not much better with oak leaves. The 36 exmark I replaced with the wright did it all not as smooth as the deere in thick grass but not bad either and it preformed the best with the leaves. I tried the wavy exmark blades on the wright and it took the load off the machine but the cut wasnt as good so Im back to stock blades. I wouldnt say its worthless as I still use it. After 12+ years with dedicated mulch kits its hard to go back to discharge. Even though it sucks with leaves I have only had one complaint and lost job because of it. I have other issues with my wright but I left them out and will only say check to see that the bolts holding your motor on have a lock washer mine did not and the extra stress with the mulch kit almost caused my motor to fall off. lost 3 bolts and there was no washer on fourth.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yes I've tried gators and regular high lifts. I didn't notice much if anything they cut worse. I normally cut dry grass after 10am on the thick stuff. Usually do the crappy lawns earlier. The best blades I've found are mediums or highs that don't have a notch for the lift. The hardest grass to cut for me is common bermuda. It always has stripes like the deck isn't cutting even. I've tried different decks etc none seem to get an even cut.
I guess what I'm going to do is use the kit for winter cause it's good with leaves and just side discharge in summer with gators. The gators are great for discharging. It's just annoying I spent money on a kit that sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMo View Post
I am running the stock blades. It feels like the mower is under stress in thick grass but it still gives a decent cut with no visible clippings . Blowout doesnt seem to bother me unless going around a pool deck and hearing the grass in pool complaints. Now that oak leaves are getting ready to drop is when I threaten to pull the kit as it wont lift the leaves to chop them up. The john deere I have is excellent in thick grass but again not much better with oak leaves. The 36 exmark I replaced with the wright did it all not as smooth as the deere in thick grass but not bad either and it preformed the best with the leaves. I tried the wavy exmark blades on the wright and it took the load off the machine but the cut wasnt as good so Im back to stock blades. I wouldnt say its worthless as I still use it. After 12+ years with dedicated mulch kits its hard to go back to discharge. Even though it sucks with leaves I have only had one complaint and lost job because of it. I have other issues with my wright but I left them out and will only say check to see that the bolts holding your motor on have a lock washer mine did not and the extra stress with the mulch kit almost caused my motor to fall off. lost 3 bolts and there was no washer on fourth.
What other issues? Preference or something everyone should be aware of?? Do you have the bigger hp motor? I think the wavy exmarks leave the same cut as the stock blades...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mainly bolts without lock washers. The control platform whatever its called lost two bolts and could have lost control of machine and as with engine bolts there was no warning . I looked at a freinds new machine(75hrs ) he had the same issue. The engine life is shortened due to blowout and location of air filter as well as stress dealing with improper flow of mulch kit. Also have a cut issue on one side that looks like one side higher than other yet it shows when going back and forth and its only were the right side meets on each pass. In my 30 years this is the best mower concept but has given me the worst reliability.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMo View Post
mainly bolts without lock washers. The control platform whatever its called lost two bolts and could have lost control of machine and as with engine bolts there was no warning . I looked at a freinds new machine(75hrs ) he had the same issue. The engine life is shortened due to blowout and location of air filter as well as stress dealing with improper flow of mulch kit. Also have a cut issue on one side that looks like one side higher than other yet it shows when going back and forth and its only were the right side meets on each pass. In my 30 years this is the best mower concept but has given me the worst reliability.
Thanks for the heads up I will def look at that. I have 350 hrs on mine(it's a 2008) and have had zero issues. I think cut quality when discharging is great, I am just disappointed with the mulching. In thick grass I just get too much blowout. I have used the stock blades and wavy exmarks. I think there is a little less with the wavys but not much. The plate leaves the dry clumps in the lawn so I have to go back and blow it out more than I would like. I guess there is just no such thing as the perfect machine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
OK

I have been trying to find the best setup to mulch. I have done a block-off plate with gators and full mulch kit with the stock Wright blades and the wavy exmarks.

The problems:
Plate-leaves the line on the side in growing season.
Kit-Blowout

I use one spacer on top of the blade during growing season. The mower is a 36" Fixed Deck Wright Stander.

Anyone have any special tricks so I can get rid of these problems? Thanks in advance.

FYI-I am cutting healthy vigorous St. Augustine lawns weekly.
I run a hustler XR7 with mulch kit and don't have a prob with thick St Aug. I do not like the wavy blades or notched. I just use a med or high lift with good results.

The spacer on top of the blade is probably contributing to the blow out. Try it without it. Why do you use a spacer?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Have you adjusted the rake of the machine to see if it helps with the blow out?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Have you adjusted the rake of the machine to see if it helps with the blow out?
Rake??
Posted via Mobile Device