Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2012, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Need Advice On New Lawn Equip To Get!!!

I am currently new to Lawn Site, and I am looking forward to any advice anyone would like to give me. Thanks

I recently had a Echo blower model 500 stolen and some echo trimmers ( don't remember model )

I am going to replace trimmers with same trimmers, but I am thinking about upgrading blowers.

I am looking at the Shindaiwa 854 and 802. I noticed the 854 is a 4 hybrid engine. What does that mean? Which one is more productive/reliable?
Also, are the stihl 600 Magnums better or same as shindaiwa?

Thanks for any advice on blowers

Also I am looking to upgrade push mowers. I currently have a 36 belt drive commercial scag that has worked perfect for me. I had the 400 dollar honda that you can get at home depot and the gears went out on me (self propelled no longer works). Now I'm looking at commercial push mowers.

I was reading some on this website and it seemed to me that exmark, toro, and snapper.

Does toro make exmark now?

I was reading some of the specs on the mowers, and I can not tell much of a difference. I was looking for some advice on which mowers are the most reliable? I have 40 residential accounts that I mow (use scag for 12-15). Others I push. Couple have big hills but thats it.

Of the commercial push mowers which one does the best job? I usually bag but sometimes mulch grass

Thanks for any advice you might have.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to LS!

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can help you with a few of them.

Toro owns Exmark, but they are still two individual companies. They do share a lot of the same looks and features.

As for which blower- Stihl or Shindy? Both are excellent blowers regardless of what some here may try to tell you. The 802 is a true 2 stroke, while the 854 is a 4 stroke that runs on 2 stroke mix just like the Stihl 4 mixer's do. I prefer the 802 personally. It is a great blower. Easier to maintain, and much simpler in design. The BR 600M is a topnotch blower as well, and all of the big BP blowers are very close in performance.

Don't overlook Husky's new big BP's. Several of us here have them and love them.
I have a BR600M, and a Husky 570 BTS, and love them both. The Husky is a bit stronger now that it is getting broken in, but the Stihl is lighter and quieter, and better on fuel. All the big 2 strokes use plenty of fuel, but they perform like there's no tomorrow, so it's a wash.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwagon View Post
I am currently new to Lawn Site, and I am looking forward to any advice anyone would like to give me. Thanks

I recently had a Echo blower model 500 stolen and some echo trimmers ( don't remember model )

I am going to replace trimmers with same trimmers
Welcome to lawnsite.

So how are you going to replace the trimmers with what you had if you can't remember what they were?

Sorry, had to do it.

So how big of a mower are you looking at getting? You really didn't mention the size. Are you talking about a push mower, a walk behind or a ride on?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Welcome to lawnsite.

So how are you going to replace the trimmers with what you had if you can't remember what they were?

Sorry, had to do it.

So how big of a mower are you looking at getting? You really didn't mention the size. Are you talking about a push mower, a walk behind or a ride on?
Sorry I did not clarify myself. I do not remember the exact echo trimmer model number. They were 269.99 at store when I bought them a month ago and I have already went back and purchased the same ones (owner remembers me and price has not changed)

The push mower I am looking for is a 21 inch commercial mower. I heard nothing, but bad reviews for the 26 exmark so I figured 21 has been around for forever they should be better built.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get the Shindy 802! By far the best blower I have ever owned!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2012, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have a redmax 7500 and i think it is awesome. All the blowers in that category are going to be relatively the same. I would go with the toro 21" commercial, i have one and it is very reliable. Why don't you look into the toro time cutter (i think thats what it is called) it has a 30" deck so that would make pushing those 25 accounts a little faster. just a suggestion.
Gravely 34z w/ bagger
Toro Commercial 21"
Redmax EBZ-7500
Redmax 3060 TS
Stihl BR 600 Magnum
Stihl FS-110 R (2)
Mclane edger

-Full time student
-19 years old.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wecutgrass View Post
i have a redmax 7500 and i think it is awesome. All the blowers in that category are going to be relatively the same. I would go with the toro 21" commercial, i have one and it is very reliable. Why don't you look into the toro time cutter (i think thats what it is called) it has a 30" deck so that would make pushing those 25 accounts a little faster. just a suggestion.
Ok I will look into toro time cutter! I went by a dealership today and looked at Honda and exmark push mowers they had for sale. They said Honda was hydrostatic and exmark was belt. What's the pros and cons of that for each unit? Also he said exmark had 1 year warranty and honda 2 year warranty.

I also looke at the echo 770 blower. He said he will give me the 5 year warranty and it blows just as good as shindaiwa. Has anyone tried out echo 770.

Thanks for all reviews so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I posted a review here last summer where I tested the Echo 770, Stihl BR600M and the RM 8500. The Echo is a fine blower and I came close to buying one, but I decided on the Husky 570 (which is the same blower as the Red Max 7500, but has better shoulder harness and air box access). Several guys have reported the the Echo 770 runs too hot, while others haven't had any trouble.

I like the Shindy 802 as well, and it is an excellent blower but it doesn't blow quite as hard or as fast as the Husky 570/RM 7500 unless it is modified, which of course can be done with those two as well, and since it is a larger displacement engine, it will use more fuel to do the same thing.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here are a couple reviews I posted last year. Some here have made remarks about them being superfluous, but I disagree. I tried to give detail that anyone who is unfamiliar with the big BP's would appreciate, and several have said they did, so I guess they were worth it. There are a ton of BP reviews if you do a search. Maybe they will help you too-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...lower+demo+day

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...=Blower+review
Old 01-20-2012, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Here are a couple reviews I posted last year. Some here have made remarks about them being superfluous, but I disagree. I tried to give detail that anyone who is unfamiliar with the big BP's would appreciate, and several have said they did, so I guess they were worth it. There are a ton of BP reviews if you do a search. Maybe they will help you too-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...lower+demo+day

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...=Blower+review
Thanks for the links! It looks to me that the Echo is a nice machine! I still am trying to find an article about someone using the Shinny 802 model!

Also, I was talking to a dealer today and he said that the Stihl Mag 600 is a 4 stroke that uses mixed gas? I am trying to stay away from having to keep readjusting valves every few months. This is why I am looking at the Shinny and Echo.

Tags
exmark , shindaiwa , snapper , stihl , toro