Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #521  
Old 12-25-2011, 06:18 PM
HPSInc HPSInc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 413
is your trailer a dual piston or scissor lift?
Reply With Quote
  #522  
Old 12-25-2011, 08:38 PM
RLS24's Avatar
RLS24 RLS24 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPSInc View Post
that looks exactly like the truck i saw so it had to have been you. ill beep next time lol..that dump trailer is nice. is that a low profile?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPSInc View Post
is your trailer a dual piston or scissor lift?
its a dual piston. I guess you could consider it low profile compared to some, but even before I put the board sides on I did a job where I was loading fill into it with a walk-behind skid steer and it could barely make it over the edge.
__________________
Chevy and Ford trucks, Wright & Toro mowers, Echo 2-cycle, too much other stuff to list......

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Reply With Quote
  #523  
Old 12-25-2011, 11:49 PM
HPSInc HPSInc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 413
im heading out the look at a dump trailer in the morning. its a dual piston. i read good and bad but everyone has their preferences so im not too worried about it
Reply With Quote
  #524  
Old 12-26-2011, 11:03 PM
MDLawn MDLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPSInc View Post
im heading out the look at a dump trailer in the morning. its a dual piston. i read good and bad but everyone has their preferences so im not too worried about it
From what a local dealer informed me the lift systems rate as this:

#1 Single lift cylinder mounted in the front (sort of a straight lift like some heavy dump trucks or semi trailer dumps)

#2 Scissor Lift - also was told this is a must for longer 14'+ trailers for stability reasons.

#3 Single or Dual Cylinder

Thats just from a local dealer and obviously the better the rank the more expensive it is. Their take on it was the single cylinder mounted on front provided the most optimal "pushing" position for heavy loads and was recommended for sand, rock, etc... Scissor is more stable and has more power in the lower position but lifts slowly at start. Either way it still dumps. I think the other things to consider are if it is Power Up/Power Down or Power Up/Gravity down. The power down just drains the batter quicker because it uses battery power to lower the bed. How the back gate functions (barn door, metering gate, single gate, etc..) If looking at a used trailer make sure it works, look for leaks, bends in the frame, cracks in welds. These things can get abused quickly!! I can't wait to pick up mine this year after selling my other two.
Reply With Quote
  #525  
Old 01-21-2012, 03:48 PM
RLS24's Avatar
RLS24 RLS24 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
From what a local dealer informed me the lift systems rate as this:

#1 Single lift cylinder mounted in the front (sort of a straight lift like some heavy dump trucks or semi trailer dumps)

#2 Scissor Lift - also was told this is a must for longer 14'+ trailers for stability reasons.

#3 Single or Dual Cylinder

Thats just from a local dealer and obviously the better the rank the more expensive it is. Their take on it was the single cylinder mounted on front provided the most optimal "pushing" position for heavy loads and was recommended for sand, rock, etc... Scissor is more stable and has more power in the lower position but lifts slowly at start. Either way it still dumps. I think the other things to consider are if it is Power Up/Power Down or Power Up/Gravity down. The power down just drains the batter quicker because it uses battery power to lower the bed. How the back gate functions (barn door, metering gate, single gate, etc..) If looking at a used trailer make sure it works, look for leaks, bends in the frame, cracks in welds. These things can get abused quickly!! I can't wait to pick up mine this year after selling my other two.
That makes sense about the dual piston not being as stable as the scissor lift. When full, mine would get really shaky once it got more than halfway up. Once it was up it was fine, but going up you could watch it really tweak side to side. Made me nervous a few times.....

On a side note, we FINALLY got enough snow to plow. I don't think I'll be saying we didn't have to plow until January 13th EVER again unless maybe I move out of Buffalo! Finally got to put the trucks to work!

Form the first storm on 1/13, no idea who's white Chevy that is, it parked next to me when we were inside getting coffee.


From last Thursday's storm 1/19


Hope everyone is having a good winter!. I got my plowing"fix" for the year, and I'm ready to mow lawns again!!!
__________________
Chevy and Ford trucks, Wright & Toro mowers, Echo 2-cycle, too much other stuff to list......

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Reply With Quote
  #526  
Old 01-21-2012, 03:59 PM
LawnMan19's Avatar
LawnMan19 LawnMan19 is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Where I need to be
Posts: 3,240
I'm loving them chevy's.What kind of spreader(s) do you run?
__________________
'' hard workers never slack and slackers never work hard.''
Reply With Quote
  #527  
Old 01-21-2012, 04:56 PM
RLS24's Avatar
RLS24 RLS24 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
I'm loving them chevy's.What kind of spreader(s) do you run?
none....I don't do any salting.
__________________
Chevy and Ford trucks, Wright & Toro mowers, Echo 2-cycle, too much other stuff to list......

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Reply With Quote
  #528  
Old 01-21-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnMan19's Avatar
LawnMan19 LawnMan19 is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Where I need to be
Posts: 3,240
I don't blame you it can rust a truck to death.
__________________
'' hard workers never slack and slackers never work hard.''
Reply With Quote
  #529  
Old 01-21-2012, 07:10 PM
RLS24's Avatar
RLS24 RLS24 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
I don't blame you it can rust a truck to death.
I just don't want the liability with insurance and everything. a couple of my buddies that do salting say its a goldmine but its just not something I'm interested in getting into right now.
__________________
Chevy and Ford trucks, Wright & Toro mowers, Echo 2-cycle, too much other stuff to list......

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Reply With Quote
  #530  
Old 01-21-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnMan19's Avatar
LawnMan19 LawnMan19 is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Where I need to be
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
I just don't want the liability with insurance and everything. a couple of my buddies that do salting say its a goldmine but its just not something I'm interested in getting into right now.
Yeah, that makes sense.
__________________
'' hard workers never slack and slackers never work hard.''
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Page generated in 0.13770 seconds with 10 queries