Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Zoysia by Seed?

Just wondering if anyone here has ever tried to establish a Zoysia lawn by seed? I have never seen it attempted here. The closest I have seen is a guy in one of the neighborhoods I service attempted to sprig a zoysia lawn and that did not work to well for him as it was roughly two years ago and his lawn is essentially common bermuda. This gentleman however does not appear to use a L & O company or do any sustained mgmt to the lawn himself from talking to him.

IFAS does say that Zoysia japonica can be properly established by seed but as stated I have never seen it done here. I am assuming there is a reason and I know the cost of the seed itself is expensive however I would assume it would be lower than sod if it is able to be grown here.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-22-2012, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I priced it out before. By the time I bought the seed, moss, fert, and irrigation it would be almost the same price. This was I think around 2500 sqft.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Beside's the seed itself being small, and zoysia being hard to grow without irrigation and growing a bunch of undesirable plant's along with the seed is that all you can seed in common zoysia. Hybrid sod with irrigation is the way to go IMO.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
and zoysia being hard to grow without irrigation
That is the thing. All newer homes I have seen down here have irrigation and most older homes do too inside metro areas anyway. So the irrigation can not be the issue. The seed is small but would be similar in size or larger than Kentucky bluegrass seed, and that does not stop it from being the most utilized cool season turf . So I do not think that can be it.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I priced it out before. By the time I bought the seed, moss, fert, and irrigation it would be almost the same price. This was I think around 2500 sqft.
Do you remember the type? Was it Zenith? I was just reviewing as I was pondering this question. Currently you can get 12lbs online for less than $400. Assuming a rate of 2lb to 3lbs per k - that bag could potentially cover 4 to 6 K for that $400. The seed should not be covered with a mulch/straw from my understanding to help it germinate properly. Although I agree it is not a cheap process I am thinking it is still cheaper than sodding and there must be another reason that is is not being done often down here. Maybe I am wrong I don't know.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I forgot what it was. That was another problem it was a hard sale because the customer wanted empire. You know it takes almost half the growing season to establish. That is why it's hard to get zoysia sod until June. I know most farms grow it from seed.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I forgot what it was. That was another problem it was a hard sale because the customer wanted empire. You know it takes almost half the growing season to establish. That is why it's hard to get zoysia sod until June. I know most farms grow it from seed.
I think you are getting a valid point which I wonder if is not the reason for lack of at least attempting to plant it down here and that is the establishment period . The main thing I can see being a issue is the range of temps that is ideal for renovating a lawn from seed. That being for us 80 to 95 degrees to my understanding for warm season turf. Further taking into consideration that you really would most not likely be served well by doing a fall planting when this temps are common place because the likelihood of the young tender turf being damaged by a frost. That would essentially mean your window of opportunity of success would most likely only really lye in the early spring before it got two hot for the recommended temps and the spring growth of weeds. But I am just guessing at this point and was looking for maybe a solid answer from someone who had attempted it or could answer in a absolute answer why this is not attempted or performed more often down here. Obviously they are doing it in states north of here otherwise the seed would not be commercially available....so why are we so different again down here?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
I think you are getting a valid point which I wonder if is not the reason for lack of at least attempting to plant it down here and that is the establishment period . The main thing I can see being a issue is the range of temps that is ideal for renovating a lawn from seed. That being for us 80 to 95 degrees to my understanding for warm season turf. Further taking into consideration that you really would most not likely be served well by doing a fall planting when this temps are common place because the likelihood of the young tender turf being damaged by a frost. That would essentially mean your window of opportunity of success would most likely only really lye in the early spring before it got two hot for the recommended temps and the spring growth of weeds. But I am just guessing at this point and was looking for maybe a solid answer from someone who had attempted it or could answer in a absolute answer why this is not attempted or performed more often down here. Obviously they are doing it in states north of here otherwise the seed would not be commercially available....so why are we so different again down here?
Mike I do a lot of seed work. I can tell you from experience zoysia takes a long period of time to germinate which causes a lot of weed issues as well as an extended period of time to irrigate and babysit. From my own experience length of time to establish is the reason I refuse to ever try and establish zoysia by seed again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2012, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ric will tell you I over seeded one of his customers zoysia lawns. I gave them the seed for free because I just wanted to get rid of it! That was an expensive freeebie but i was happy to be rid of it. I seed successfully with Bermuda all the time as a Bahia alternative, summer is the best time unlike cool season grasses
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Mike I do a lot of seed work. I can tell you from experience zoysia takes a long period of time to germinate which causes a lot of weed issues as well as an extended period of time to irrigate and babysit. From my own experience length of time to establish is the reason I refuse to ever try and establish zoysia by seed again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks FL,

I was kind of hoping from a response from you or someone like yourself that does lots of seed. That puts it to rest I guess but any clue as why they use seed up north but we dont to seem to have as good as luck down here?