Register free!

Old 01-22-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Ric will tell you I over seeded one of his customers zoysia lawns. I gave them the seed for free because I just wanted to get rid of it! That was an expensive freeebie but i was happy to be rid of it. I seed successfully with Bermuda all the time as a Bahia alternative, summer is the best time unlike cool season grasses
Posted via Mobile Device
I know you have done a good amount of Bermuda, and I am still amazed as tough as that turf is that it is not the primary turf down here.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Thanks FL,

I was kind of hoping from a response from you or someone like yourself that does lots of seed. That puts it to rest I guess but any clue as why they use seed up north but we dont to seem to have as good as luck down here?
St Augustine seed isn't available so that's a big factor. Zoysia takes to long to establish. Bermuda is very common in the south, just not in Florida where they love st Augustine also a lot of Bermuda lawns are hybrid turf which is sterile so no seed. Common Bermuda is fairly easy to establish and is commonly used on golf course fairways and medium level home lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I know you have done a good amount of Bermuda, and I am still amazed as tough as that turf is that it is not the primary turf down here.
Bermuda grass is the number one turf in the southern united states. Just not Florida? I love it compared to Bahia and if maintained properly I like it better than st Augustine for softer feel, better wear tolerance, drought tolerance and ease of repair with seed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It is. It's not by most people's choice though. Even some of the best SA yards seem to have little patches of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Notbto mention much more herbicide tolerant
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
It is. It's not by most people's choice though. Even some of the best SA yards seem to have little patches of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fl loves st Augustine. Go to other southern states and it's predominantly Bermuda.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Fl loves st Augustine. Go to other southern states and it's predominantly Bermuda.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bermuda is the most used grass of the warm season turfs except from what I have seen in FL. Essentially it is equal to KBG in for the cool season turfs. I am pretty sure I learned that in some class too FL? You wouldn't know what course I am talking about would you?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Notbto mention much more herbicide tolerant
Posted via Mobile Device
Deeper roots....rhizomes and stolens to spread more aggressively....so again why is it that SA is all over here? LOL I know I know so we all get paid.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

On the zoysia by seed: DON'T do it! It is one of the slowest turf grasses to germinate and the germination rate is horrible. You are better off doing the next worst method of broadcasting shredded sod, then topping with either compost or hydromulch. The texture and appearance of the grass is also terrible. It is very coarse and not tight like how the selected varieties of zoysia are. It also is much more susceptible to dollar spot than the selected varieties. By the time you figure out what the post planting maintenance and water costs will be, sod is not that bad. Pinch pennies doing seeds or shredded sod, pay up for water, weed control, fertilization and redoing areas that do not take.

I have come to appreciate St Augustine because it is one of the easier warm season turf types to mow. Bahia is hard to mow. Centipede is not too bad. Then with bermuda and zoysia, those grasses do not look very good unless mowed low with a reel mower. I also notice that bermuda and zoysia need more attention paid to fertilization for an attractive appearance. Centipede is extremely picky about where it will grow. The soil has to be acidic, low in salts and well drained. Which leaves St Augustine. That will grow very well in most soils and does not want or need to be cut like a putting green. St Augustine is not a common turf type in my state. It is mostly zoysia, followed by seashore paspalum, then bermuda. Bermuda is a rare occurence in maintained landscapes here. Much of it was lost in the 1980's through the 1990's to Take All decline disease. At one time, many fine lawns were either Tifdwarf or Tifgreen. The old Emerald zoysia lawns established before I was even born survived and the new ones planted with El Toro zoysia made it.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ric will tell you I over seeded one of his customers zoysia lawns. I gave them the seed for free because I just wanted to get rid of it! That was an expensive freeebie but i was happy to be rid of it. I seed successfully with Bermuda all the time as a Bahia alternative, summer is the best time unlike cool season grasses
Posted via Mobile Device
fl-land

We saw a favorable response from the treatment you did. I am not sure the seed actually helped as much as the Top Dressing did. The yard did a beautiful turn around after the top dressing. I do want to believe that some of the seed germinated but I can't say all of it did.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.