Register free!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantculture View Post
Hope the Guy from Georgia is reading this thread.
Ha ha ha, I'm thinkin that's me..
I still got my eyes on Florida! I would do the guys lawn for 15 bucks a cut and do the nicest job too. Don't let those other guys take over.

Some people just don't like the monthly year long deal. Your currently charging 65 a month with around 32 cuts a year, your almost 10 bucks a cut higher than the other guys.

But if you get 5 or 10 lawns and knock em out your doin alright.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As above, it is salesmanship. There will always be some idiot willing to cut prices. You have to emphasize your higher quality, less risk (because you are insured), more experience, more knowledge, more reliable, better equipment, sharp blades, cleaner cut, no shortcuts, drug-free workers, American workers with warm personalities, (most of whom can converse in the local dialect), spare mowers in case of breakdown and so forth.
If you really have to offer a discount--you could give him a discount for paying by the year, or for paying in advance for the month, or if he pays the same day or within 5 days..or whatever suits the situation and you can negotiate with the customer. Perhaps you can offer him a cut rate contract if your work at his place is not guaranteed. Or if you agree you never spend more than 15 minutes on his property.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
Ha ha ha, I'm thinkin that's me..
I still got my eyes on Florida! I would do the guys lawn for 15 bucks a cut and do the nicest job too. Don't let those other guys take over.

Some people just don't like the monthly year long deal. Your currently charging 65 a month with around 32 cuts a year, your almost 10 bucks a cut higher than the other guys.

But if you get 5 or 10 lawns and knock em out your doin alright.
The people that don't like that down here are cheapos and get rid of you in the winter. If you want to be a lawn cutter, you will have a hard time establishing a lucrative business. If you want to be a landscape manager, you can do very well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2012, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get all the salesmanship and cheap customer stuff etc..
BUT- as long as your blades are turnin, your working and making money. If some one drops you, you take care of the ones that are left and try to get more.

After a certain amount of years your customer base will probably be all different customers than when you started anyways.

Some customers just want their grass cut. They don't care about how "whatever you are". Those are sometimes the best customers.. Do what they want and make money.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
American workers with warm personalities, (most of whom can converse in the local dialect).
Hell Riggle, we live in FL, there is not a local dialect cause everyone here is from somewhere else. The biggest thing I wish I knew before I moved down here....was Spanish...so much of the population that is the primary language...and they struggle sometimes with conversing in English....So being able to speak Spanish would make the situation more comfortable for them.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickleylawncare View Post
Sounds like you just need to switch over to an annual contract. Most of our customers are 12 month billing, on contract. For those that dont, we are just month to month, and they pay a higher fee. They keep us year to year, and they pay extra each year when we start up again to clean out the winter mess. We probably make more off the non contracted customers, but I like the peace of mind, and the contracted customers like having a lawn guy year round keeping an eye on things for them. These are the same customers that don't skimp on weed control, mulching, and fertilizer too.

Also, I pay Comcast a flat fee every month, no matter how much bandwidth I use... why would not bill the same as a monthly service provider.
Where can you find a good contract or wording for one? I made up something kind of nice but should I have it printed for carbon copy invoices or would a good old inkjet print be ok with 2 copies? You give your customer a copy right?

Last edited by Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care; 01-23-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaViper View Post
Where can you find a good contract or wording for one? I made up something kind of nice but should I have it printed for carbon copy invoices or would a good old inkjet print be ok with 2 copies? You give your customer a copy right?
Of course you give them a copy.

Check your private messages.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I always fire a preemptive strike letter with their November invoice. Outlines the plan for the coming winter months and our holiday schedule.