Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

pre-emergent and other weed control advice

Hi,

I have a lawn of centipede in NC that's about 1.25 years old. One side of the house is relatively weed free, and the other side has weeds such as (I believe) poa annua, florida betony, wild onion, carolina geranium, dandelion? and maybe some more I haven't identified.

I've been trying to get a healthy stand of grass as a first line of defense...still working on that. I haven't put any herbicides on the grass but am now considering to do so.

I'd like to start using a pre-emergent. I realize that I probably should have applied some back in October/November. Now I'm planning to maybe use some barricade/prodiamine in late February/early March and then again in Oct/Nov of this year.

I'd also like to try using a post-emergent herbicide to control the weeds that are there already. I'd appreciate it if you'd entertain a few questions:

1- Does my plan of using pre-emergents sound ok? I was thinking the barricade/prodiamine since it sounds like it lasts fairly long. I assume they'll have an application rate for centipede on the label?

2- I was thinking of using barricade 0-0-7 0.38% barricade as I saw it online for $13 for a 20lb granular bag (I prefer granules if possible). Another option I saw but haven't researched were stonewall. Will using the 0-0-7 in Feb/March mess anything up (I didn't think so since it doesn't have Nitrogen)?

3- Is it ok to spray Image for centipede (atrazine) as a post emergent right now while the centipede is dormant and within a month or so of using a preemergent? or use roundup to spot treat?

I really appreciate any information or tips you can give!

thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshanno View Post
Hi,

I have a lawn of centipede in NC that's about 1.25 years old. One side of the house is relatively weed free, and the other side has weeds such as (I believe) poa annua, florida betony, wild onion, carolina geranium, dandelion? and maybe some more I haven't identified.

I've been trying to get a healthy stand of grass as a first line of defense...still working on that. I haven't put any herbicides on the grass but am now considering to do so.

I'd like to start using a pre-emergent. I realize that I probably should have applied some back in October/November. Now I'm planning to maybe use some barricade/prodiamine in late February/early March and then again in Oct/Nov of this year.

I'd also like to try using a post-emergent herbicide to control the weeds that are there already. I'd appreciate it if you'd entertain a few questions:

1- Does my plan of using pre-emergents sound ok? I was thinking the barricade/prodiamine since it sounds like it lasts fairly long. I assume they'll have an application rate for centipede on the label?

2- I was thinking of using barricade 0-0-7 0.38% barricade as I saw it online for $13 for a 20lb granular bag (I prefer granules if possible). Another option I saw but haven't researched were stonewall. Will using the 0-0-7 in Feb/March mess anything up (I didn't think so since it doesn't have Nitrogen)?

3- Is it ok to spray Image for centipede (atrazine) as a post emergent right now while the centipede is dormant and within a month or so of using a preemergent? or use roundup to spot treat?

I really appreciate any information or tips you can give!

thanks
Posted via Mobile Device