Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

agricultural sulfur and copper usage are through the roof in 2010.

The organic industry is a tiny fraction of actual food production, say 5%.

Could you imagine the amount of copper and sulfur (bourdeau mix) we would need to satisfy 100% organic production for a problem like powdery mildew.

Using 1 oz of 2,4-D to treat 1000 sq ft of lawn compared to 28 oz of fiesta for the same 1000 sq foot lawn, doesn't seem like reducing our pesticide usage loads to me. Especially when you have to reapply fiesta 5-8 times a year for suppression only.

Why are we trying to provide a working model of plant and soil health with lawns, why not start in the farmers field or sod farm?
I know why.

Last edited by HayBay; 01-05-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayBay View Post
agricultural sulfur and copper usage are through the roof in 2010.

The organic industry is a tiny fraction of actual food production, say 5%.

Could you imagine the amount of copper and sulfur (bourdeau mix) we would need to satisfy 100% organic production for a problem like powdery mildew.

Using 1 oz of 2,4-D to treat 1000 sq ft of lawn compared to 28 oz of fiesta for the same 1000 sq foot lawn, doesn't seem like reducing our pesticide usage loads to me. Especially when you have to reapply fiesta 5-8 times a year for suppression only.

Why are we trying to provide a working model of plant and soil health with lawns, why not start in the farmers field or sod farm?
I know why.
Plant health and soil health aren't that difficult to work into the cultural practices of either lawn care or farming... It is the problem of special interests that muddy the waters and confuse the issue that create a disconnect between basic botany and understanding the field...

As far as pesticides are concerned, that is most easily typified by overuse, such as spraying 3 acres of ground to get 3 dandelions... Grass doesn't allow much intrusion, but we never produce a mature lawn that would be great with 5 minutes of Spot Spraying, but we never produce that kind of lawn...

Imagine if everyone was responsible in their use of pesticides, would the gov't have any excuse to create a black market???
Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Where do you Ontario guys get your Fiesta?