Register free!

Old 01-28-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Resale means nothing to me. I buy a machine to work, make money. Once its dead, its time for another.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymike View Post
Do you still drive a jeep?

I might be the only landscaper that drives around in their JK with the doors off to do quotes and estimates. Much rather drive it around than a truck. Better on gas, easier for doing 7 U-turns when you're looking for a house on a street with no numbers.

Oh yeah, my Jeep is my baby. But it's not a daily driver, the only thing stock on it is the tub. Because of the larger wheels the odometer/speedometer is not accurate, but I guess it gets about 7 to 10 miles to the gallon! I don't drive it to estimates because it has sound to it - 360 engine with headers and 2 1/2" dual exaust with FlowMasters. It sounds awesome, but my white collar office worker clients would probably not think so. That, and the sticker across the top of the windshield probably wouldn't make for a good first impression.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
Resale means nothing to me. I buy a machine to work, make money. Once its dead, its time for another.
Yeah I can see it that way. My buddy has one on his dairy farm. Although he bought it at an auction with 300 hours for under 10k, he has put 6k hours on it with no major problems.

I don't think I could spend 40k on a machine when the value of the thing when you drive off from the dealership is 20k.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can,

Where are you getting these stats?

I find skid steer reviews to be much like truck reviews. Now some reviews are useful to the machine and it's capabilities.... But I see a lot like trucks.

I bought a couple new 2009 2500 Chevy duramax trucks. At stop lights you would get ford guys just saying "man nice truck, to bad it's a p.o.s Chevy... 'shoulda bought a ford!" when in reality I got rid of a 06 6.0 ford diesel with 60000 miles because it needed 5,000 in repairs. People want to pick a brand, and everything else is garbage.
J
Jcb has been around for 65 years and are one of the three biggest manufacturers of large construction equipment In the world. I think new holland and bobcat are so much more in the eye of the homeowner and contractor because their base and low range models are cheap and in almost every rental yard
Old 01-28-2012, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I too do not worry about resale.

No disrespect towards anyone

But I buy machines to work with. And I buy them with what I can afford. Why should I spend another $8,000 only to get another $4800 if I sell it?

I run my stuff into the ground. When I'm done with it, it would get parted out and sold as scrap metal.

I bought my Gehl skid Steer in 1997 for $19,200. I love that machine and have no intentions of ever selling it. When I bought it another contractor said to me "Gehl, they have no resale value"

Well, I keep tabs on the prices of used skid steers in machinerytrader.com, and the Gehls my model year and model are selling for $8k to $10k. If someone were to come to me today and offer me $8k for that machine I would give consideration to selling. That machine has been paid off for the last 11.5 years...and doesn't burn one drop of oil!

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont buy new. There are way too many low hour machines being given away right now. I buy with a few hundred hours, use for a few years, then sell it for what i had in it. I have done this with all the dingos i have owned and large framed skid loaders. Basically use them for free and put more money in the bank. So resell does matter to me.

Jcbs are a fine machine, i have heard their backhoes are some of the best. However the resell value is terrible in the US. Probably a different story in england.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What info are you using to compare the resale of JCB skid steers to others? Also I would think its hard to get a resale on the newer JCB skidsteers since they have been completely re-designed with now many used on the market. Used doesnt work for me. I plan on being in the business for a long time, and with 1.25% financing, 2 year warantee etc. New works best for me. I cant afford time or $$ to mess with repairs should they be needed.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's hard to find used JCB skid steers for sale. So I'm not sure what ppl are basis the low resale value statements on.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2012, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
What info are you using to compare the resale of JCB skid steers to others? Also I would think its hard to get a resale on the newer JCB skidsteers since they have been completely re-designed with now many used on the market. Used doesnt work for me. I plan on being in the business for a long time, and with 1.25% financing, 2 year warantee etc. New works best for me. I cant afford time or $$ to mess with repairs should they be needed.
I buy and sell skid steers and mini excavators as a hobby... well maybe a little more than a hobby. Just my opinion so don't take it personal... I wouldn't touch a jcb to resell. Nobody wants them... even takeuchi and case don't have as strong of a resale value as Bobcat, Caterpillar, and John Deere even though they are arguably better machines.

I don't understand the need for a warranty when you can literally save 20k off of a new one by buying lightly used.

I just can't see how buying new ever truly pencils out. The warranty is a null point, because the money you save could replace the motor... twice. But much more likely will end up in your bank account. And with the quality of today's machines, you really aren't going to have problems until they are out of warranty anyway.

I usually dump my skid steers around 2000hrs and a jcb with 2000hrs is probably only going to be worth MAYBE 13-15k... 25k loss in my book.

I bought a TL140 with 600hrs the other day for 14k. I can probably run it up to 2500hrs and still sell it for a 14k after a few years of running it.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For me it works because like I said, I have no maintenance issues (hopefully) regardless of the amount of a repair, the down time is as if not more important (it will shut down multiple crews of my business landscape cant load material, hardscaping crew and also lawn crews) and you need to factor in purchasing options. Like I said I like paying a very low interest rate 1.25% is almost free, and I have much more cash flow then buying a used machine and either paying a much higher APR, or having less cash flow. None the less We will have the machine forever and the resell is a null point.