Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Why do people say it's tough in Florida?

Tough as in difficult to make a living doing lawncare?

Is this accurate in your opinion when compared with northern states? I'm considering doing lawncare part time during college and maybe going full time after graduating. Would I be wasting my time? I doubt this can be entirely true. Some have got to be making it OK. I eventually want to start a family - can I support a small family in this field?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

IMO it depends on how you run your company. If you offer full service, design and install, tree work, etc, then yes. If you want to be a mow and go only company, good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2012, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your major going to be ?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
What is your major going to be ?
Majoring in International Affairs, but unfortunately there are very little employment opportunities with this major. Without going into too much detail, I picked this major because it held the most interest to me in terms of what I'd be focusing on. I was also limited to what I was able to pick because of prerequisites. Being half way done with college I'm finding myself in this upsetting and weird situation where I'm realizing I don't want a life of office work, so now I find myself scrambling to figure out what I can do. Lawncare honestly seems like it could be a fruitful and enjoyable profession (the self-employed aspect also adds to the appeal).
Old 01-28-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Florida View Post
Majoring in International Affairs, but unfortunately there are very little employment opportunities with this major. Without going into too much detail, I picked this major because it held the most interest to me in terms of what I'd be focusing on. I was also limited to what I was able to pick because of prerequisites. Being half way done with college I'm finding myself in this upsetting and weird situation where I'm realizing I don't want a life of office work, so now I find myself scrambling to figure out what I can do. Lawncare honestly seems like it could be a fruitful and enjoyable profession (the self-employed aspect also adds to the appeal).
Then I would take as many courses in accounting and business administration as you could work in in the time you have left in college and work your lawn business part time and see how it goes. My son will be graduating from USF this year and many of his friends from high school find themselves in the same situation as you and they are closer to graduation.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Then I would take as many courses in accounting and business administration as you could work in in the time you have left in college and work your lawn business part time and see how it goes. My son will be graduating from USF this year and many of his friends from high school find themselves in the same situation as you and they are closer to graduation.
Yeah, the problem now is that a four year college degree is worth what a high school diploma used to be.

Now I'm beginning to wonder what I do on my own to where having a specific major doesn't matter too much, and landscaping fits the bill pretty well.

In your opinion, is there a reasonable way to make a living doing lawncare here in Florida, or is the market way too saturated with lowballers and just too many plain ole LCO's?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Yeah, the problem now is that a four year college degree is worth what a high school diploma used to be.

Now I'm beginning to wonder what I do on my own to where having a specific major doesn't matter too much, and landscaping fits the bill pretty well.

In your opinion, is there a reasonable way to make a living doing lawncare here in Florida, or is the market way too saturated with lowballers and just too many plain ole LCO's?
*what I CAN do on my own
Old 01-28-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
This is why I think people should spend 2-3 years working before going to school. Simple answer to your problem, change majors. If that means an extra year filling prereqs, so be it.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=John From Florida;4289738]Yeah, the problem now is that a four year college degree is worth what a high school diploma used to be.

I don't agree, you have to do your home work before going to college and determine what fields will be hiring and paying a living wage. Not surprisingly these are fields that are more difficult to get a degree in.
Many people get degrees in fields that are doing little hiring or do not pay well because they require less effort. My son will be graduating with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and already has an employment contract and will be starting his career immediately upon graduation. Over 80% of his initial classmates baled after the first semester 3 years ago. He will be earning more than the old man annually. We are not victims we have to be responsible for our success and failure.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=zturncutter;4289765]
Quote:

I don't agree, you have to do your home work before going to college and determine what fields will be hiring and paying a living wage. Not surprisingly these are fields that are more difficult to get a degree in.
Many people get degrees in fields that are doing little hiring or do not pay well because they require less effort. My son will be graduating with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and already has an employment contract and will be starting his career immediately upon graduation. Over 80% of his initial classmates baled after the first semester 3 years ago. He will be earning more than the old man annually. We are not victims we have to be responsible for our success and failure.
I do agree with that, however, upon entering into college there was nothing in the hard sciences or more concentrated fields of study that interested me. Majors in the Liberal Arts and Social Sciences were what I wanted to study, and unfortunately the same ones that yield less employment opportunities upon graduating.

Putting aside the issue of college, is it reasonably possible to make a living doing landscaping in Florida?

Tags
florida , getting by , income , opportunities in florida