Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag vs. Scag, new startup choice?

So first off I want to start by saying I've heard about the "benefits" of buying used. Also I know financing isn't ideal but the mower is the only thing I'm financing, everything else is paid for. Plus 0% for 48 months I'd choose to finance even if I had the money. I have 1000 flyers for marketing, 8 residential accounts already, and one commercial account worth 4 residential accounts. That one commercial account $ will be put into a seperate bank account to make my payments during the 2012-2013 off season. (incase we get no snow again next winter) I hope to have 30 accounts by the end of this summer. My mom is very connected in b2b sales so I should have more commercial accounts in that total 30 I'm aiming for. With all said here is my delima I can not figure out which Scag I want to finance! I have been to Hustler, Gravely, Cub, and Toro dealers but the Scag seemed most helpful and is closest to my house also he services and is well reputable. Exmark isnt close at all so they werent an option. So I dont need anyone trying to sway me.

I am torn between two mowers the Pro V walk behind (with ride on attachment) or a Tiger Cat. Both models I am looking at getting the 48" deck to start with. Later down the line I plan on getting the Turf Tiger 61" deck. The Pro V will run me $5600.00 new with a Kawi engine(plus cost of ride on attachment), the Tiger Cat will run me $6,800.00 new with a Briggs engine.

So which one do you think would be best to start with?

Also does anyone know how much the RSS ride behind attachment is for the Pro V? (ive been having a hard time finding it online)

This choice is literally driving me CRAZY, I dont want to make the wrong decision.

Also thanks to all the people supplying good honest information on this site it has really helped me out, and screw the ones who hate on people and always negatively criticize new comers and their ideas.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Freedom Z

One more question, I was originally thinking about getting a Scag Freedom Z what are your thoughts?

The Scag website says "The Freedom Z, zero-turn rider is a compact, high-performance mower, perfect for commercial use or for use on estate and large properties", but some people on lawnsite say its not commercial?

My dealer is wanting $5,200.00 for the Freedom Z with 48" deck and a 26HP Briggs motor. ughh I am so in decisive when it comes to my choice of Scag mowers.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do you see yourself bagging a lot of leaves in the fall? The walk behind would limit your volume of leaves per hr. Basically the grass gobler style is your only option besides maybe a trac vac. The tiger cat you could get the claim shell or 3bag bagger which is way more productive.

If leaves are not a issue I would suggust getting the vride instead of the pro v. For that deck size that is what I would use. It would be about 1k more but faster, easy controls, and no sulky.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417lawncare View Post
One more question, I was originally thinking about getting a Scag Freedom Z what are your thoughts?

The Scag website says "The Freedom Z, zero-turn rider is a compact, high-performance mower, perfect for commercial use or for use on estate and large properties", but some people on lawnsite say its not commercial?

My dealer is wanting $5,200.00 for the Freedom Z with 48" deck and a 26HP Briggs motor. ughh I am so in decisive when it comes to my choice of Scag mowers.
In short no.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A hydro walk behind sounds good to me.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Do you see yourself bagging a lot of leaves in the fall? The walk behind would limit your volume of leaves per hr. Basically the grass gobler style is your only option besides maybe a trac vac. The tiger cat you could get the claim shell or 3bag bagger which is way more productive.

If leaves are not a issue I would suggust getting the vride instead of the pro v. For that deck size that is what I would use. It would be about 1k more but faster, easy controls, and no sulky.
Posted via Mobile Device
Any other reasons than speed? I am not about alot of speed and really want the stand on attachment. Does the vride have a stand on option? Also I'm not lazy I just want it if its my only mower. (other than my push mower) When I get an additional riding ztr I wont use the sulky attachment. Long days and a medical discarge from leg injuries has me thinking walking will tear me down.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
I dont think I will be bagging too much if at all. But food for thought. I will be getting a mulching kit installed on whichever option I go with.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
In short no.
Posted via Mobile Device
Can I get a longer explanation, like I quoted from Scag it is called a comercial mower, its way cheaper than the other two options. Is Scag lying about it being a commercial mower?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

V Ride is what I would be looking into if I was you
Old 01-28-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Test drive a V-Ride, they are a stand on zero turn. I like standers, you have a better view, they are more compact, and you can jump on and off easier. They are quick as hell too, I believe all V-Rides have kawasaki engines.

Tags
pro v , ride on mower , scag , starting buisness , walk behind