Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=John From Florida;4289771]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post

I do agree with that, however, upon entering into college there was nothing in the hard sciences or more concentrated fields of study that interested me. Majors in the Liberal Arts and Social Sciences were what I wanted to study, and unfortunately the same ones that yield less employment opportunities upon graduating.

Putting aside the issue of college, is it reasonably possible to make a living doing landscaping in Florida?
With a lot of hard work, determination and education, YES.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

John From Florida...I'm in central Fl and haven't cut a lawn since the holidays and I probibly won't until March!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Florida View Post
Tough as in difficult to make a living doing lawncare?

Is this accurate in your opinion when compared with northern states? I'm considering doing lawncare part time during college and maybe going full time after graduating. Would I be wasting my time? I doubt this can be entirely true. Some have got to be making it OK. I eventually want to start a family - can I support a small family in this field?
i think they mean its tough to make a living because everyone is doing it in FL.

diamond may be right though. it could depend on what you offer with your company.

i don't live there but my parents keep trying to get me to move there because they want to move there. i refuse to leave the snowy winters we have for one thing. plus i'm getting to old to want to start my business over.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Best bet is work with some small & large companies in your area, see you they are making $$$. Learn as much from them as you can. Must be full service, i'm 31 started when i was a teenager. I only have five trucks but offer everything Bucket truck tree service, 2 full time mowing crews, stamped concrete, Hardscapes Etc. I take on contracts two hours away and sub them out. You must think out side the box
Old 01-29-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagman52 View Post
John From Florida...I'm in central Fl and haven't cut a lawn since the holidays and I probibly won't until March!
Would you blame that on a lack of demand during this season or low-ballers cutting you out of work? I see LCOs all over my neighborhood even at this point. Although there isn't enough grass to go around when there's an excess of guys, there would be enough work if you beat out the competition through innovative advertising. It works in theory at least :P

Tags
florida , getting by , income , opportunities in florida