Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-28-2012, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

New Website

Hello,

New here, thanks for having me. Wanted to get some feedback on a new site we created. Thank you and click below. Maybe some additions.

Outer Banks Landscaping
Old 01-28-2012, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks great, but the killer for me is always seeing a nice site and then notice that the main visual tie-in to your company's brand, your logo, is poorly done. Easy fix is to go back to your graphic design software and simply save the original artwork as a .png or .gif. The reason you see all of that dithering (the little dots) around it now is that it's saved as a .jpg, which should never be used for flat color work.

Just saw when I hit the bottom that you had this built by a web design house. Have them fix it for you. Surprised that they would make an error such as this for a paying client.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed with the above, and other than that, decent design (loved the facebook icon).

From a technical standpoint, and again, pretty bad that a professional design company did this, the page is broken in that the <head> section of the page ends twice, and there is at least one misspelling in the markup code breaking a meta tag.

While the site may not actually be trying to use them, there are a few images referenced in the CSS that do not exist on the site.

Validation is broken on your Request a Quote form (javascript reports an error when you submit an form). This is a good reason why you should also have server side validation, not just depend on javascript.

Spelling issues found:

http://crewcuttersobx.com/about-crew...uter-banks.php
Dont let money stand...

http://crewcuttersobx.com/crew-cutters-price-quotes.php
(In META Description) quote for your proerty on the

Other than that, pretty nice site, good colors, flows real nice.

-Greg
Old 01-29-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

okay I don't like to show my site so much cause I'm always changing it, but, here it is. I have a basic one page site that tells what I do, gives an option to contact me through a form, and make a payment, and ofcourse- my phone number etc..

I built it myself using note pad and html! I am going to have plan it graphics do a real logo for me so don't laugh at my logo.
http://steveslawn.com
Old 01-29-2012, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post
the page is broken in that the <head> section of the page ends twice?
Which page? Where
Old 01-30-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

The tag Greg is referring to, the rather important <head>, is broken on all pages except "contact us". All tags need an open and a close, such as <head></head>. Your pages have <head></head></head>. Your web designer's template is the issue, as they just use one page and duplicate it for the others, so if there's an error in one, there's usually an error in all.

You can see all of the various errors by searching google for "html validator", hit the site, copy your page link into the box, and any errors will be shown, along with explanations.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The easy fix (in case they gave you the template and now you work directly with the code) is open each page in a text editor (notepad if nothing else) search for </HEAD> and if there are two of them, delete the first one. Note, make sure you have the slash in there, and it is not case sensitive.

If you have nothing better than notepad, you may want to look for notepad++ which is a good free progam and has a lot of built in feaures for editing pages by hand.

-Greg
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
banks , landscaping , obx , outer , outer banks