Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Which mower for start-up business?
Scag 61" TT 27 Kawi 100hrs $7800 3 30.00%
Scag 52" V-Ride 26 Kawi New $6499 7 70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2012, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Scag Turf Tiger or Scag V-Ride

I am starting up a lawn care business and wanted to see what everyone thought the best mower would be to start out with. Based on what I have read on this site I have decided on a Scag.

My two choices are:

61" Turf Tiger w/27 Liquid cooled Kawi (not sure if it is DFI) 100 hours in like new condition $7800 or less.

52" V-Ride w/26 Kawi, New for $6499

Anyone with experience on both machines please give your input. Also, I am not sure which size to go with as I obviously don't know what type/size of accounts I will have. I do have a residential 42" JD for smaller areas that I can use temporarily if need be.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

v ride is more versatile and better for hills. It's also brand new and under warranty. Turf tiger would be way better if you are cutting a lot of 1 acre plus properties. It's up to you and the kind of properties in your area. Both are very nice machines. The turf tiger will do hills very well for a ztr but I think the v ride is a little better. If you have a lot of very small yards around you the turf tiger is going to be very bulky tough to manuever.

My answer...if you have mostly very big yards go with the TT. If your yards are smaller I would go with the v ride if you are only going to buy 1 mower.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What will your Target base be? Residential? Commercial? If residential or residential and small commercial, go with the v ride. If large commercial, go turf tiger. There's several hundred pound difference, and the turf on small properties will thank you for going with the v ride.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Most likely it will be residential the first season. Thanks for your input.

Also, I just read a thread about V-Ride frames cracking or buckleing. Is anyone else having this problem with them?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
What will your Target base be? Residential? Commercial? If residential or residential and small commercial, go with the v ride. If large commercial, go turf tiger. There's several hundred pound difference, and the turf on small properties will thank you for going with the v ride.
Posted via Mobile Device
For the life of me I can't understand how the lawn on a small property knows the difference between a heavy mower or light mower? Is the soil softer on properties with less sqft of turf?

As far as choices for the OP, I'd stick with the JD rider you have until you get enough customers to buy a commercial mower.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well, small lawns mean more turning, more turning means more chances to tear turf, tearing turf means turf stress, turf stress meandering more chances of distance, chances of all that means unhappy customers, unhappy customers means complaints, complaints means more time out of your day and cancelled customers, cancelled customers means your business is failing.

Now being the op is not used to mowing with a ztr, lighter the better, anyway to start with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few hundred hours on a Turf Tiger, but none on a V Ride. I have used a Wright Stander a few times. Based on my experience with the Wright I would not even consider another stander. I also don't understand people thinking a Turf Tiger is to large for small yards. I used mine on every yard I have, from quarter acre to fifteen acres. The only place you will find it to big would be in tight situations like in a grave yard where the small trim edge and wide wheel base will leave you doing a lot of trimming. Go with the Turf Tiger.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would think smaller lawns you would have LESS turning. I can see a heavy mower tearing grass when turning but that can be avoided.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure what your yards are like Orange, but here, it seems people need to have beds, planters and all.sorts of crap all over. I use a heavy mower, but hate it. I bought a 48 wb last spring to use on the worst yards. Just wait til it rains everyday or every other day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My smallest property is 1/4 acre lot. They all go up from there.

Tags
scag , turf tiger , v-ride