Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: Which mower for start-up business?
Scag 61" TT 27 Kawi 100hrs $7800 3 30.00%
Scag 52" V-Ride 26 Kawi New $6499 7 70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mist be nice to have larger lawns like that
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2012, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I picked the vride. If it was an option I would of picked a 48" vride for gates. When you grow and add a 60" rider it would make more sense to have that 48" over the 52" vride.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Mist be nice to have larger lawns like that
Posted via Mobile Device
I like the fact that I don't have to load and unload constantly. My largest is roughly 6 acres.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
I picked the vride. If it was an option I would of picked a 48" vride for gates. When you grow and add a 60" rider it would make more sense to have that 48" over the 52" vride.
Thanks for your input.

The 48" does make alot of sense just starting out. I am trying to follow some of the tips I have read on this site and many say not to buy equipment until you have a need for it. The way I look at it, If I don't mow 1 yard for profit I will have a helluva nice stand-up mower for my own yard, lol. I am 42, retired military and currently working in Afgh as a contractor so I can buy the proper equip to start out. I would rather start with some decent equipment rather than trying to use residential stuff and go through the headaches of broken or down equip and lost customers.

Some of the other equipment I already have such as a 16ft trailer, 2 trucks, 42" residential JD (for now). I will have to buy handhelds but they can be used at the house too. Residential stuff around the house is not worth the $ you save anyway IMO.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i like the idea of having a 48" stander and a 61" ztr. you could schedule the smaller yards on the same day if they are close enough to each other and just take the stander out and you could schedule the larger yards on another day and take the 61" out. or you could have a big trailer and carry both out every day. the choice is yours. the possibilities are endless. i have a 54" right now and a 21" pushmower. i use the 54" on everything. i only had one yard i used the 21" on. it was a fenced in backyard with a pool and took about 5 min to cut with the 21". that customer moved last year so right now i dont' have any use for the 21".

it all depends on where you live and the customers you have. some on here have alot of gated yards so a mower has to be 36" or less to fit through the gate. others have large open yards that are 3 acres and up and use bigger mowers.

my yards are about 1/4 acre all the way up to 4acres. i hope to get a 61" in the future such as the scag cheetah to add to my lineup. i do have a few yards where my 54" barely fits into places so a 61" only would never work for me.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i like the idea of having a 48" stander and a 61" ztr. you could schedule the smaller yards on the same day if they are close enough to each other and just take the stander out and you could schedule the larger yards on another day and take the 61" out. or you could have a big trailer and carry both out every day. the choice is yours. the possibilities are endless. i have a 54" right now and a 21" pushmower. i use the 54" on everything. i only had one yard i used the 21" on. it was a fenced in backyard with a pool and took about 5 min to cut with the 21". that customer moved last year so right now i dont' have any use for the 21".

it all depends on where you live and the customers you have. some on here have alot of gated yards so a mower has to be 36" or less to fit through the gate. others have large open yards that are 3 acres and up and use bigger mowers.

my yards are about 1/4 acre all the way up to 4acres. i hope to get a 61" in the future such as the scag cheetah to add to my lineup. i do have a few yards where my 54" barely fits into places so a 61" only would never work for me.
Thanks for your feedback.

The Cheetah does look like a sweet machine given the speed and suspension. The new price is a little more than I want to risk right now for a start-up business and they are very hard to find used. In fact, I have never seen a used one. I WILL own one in the future though.

I agree that the 48 stander and 61 ztr sounds like a good combo. Your idea of scheduling small yards on the same day and larger ones on diff days is good. I am all about efficiency and not hauling around a ton of unecissary equip.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

glad i could help. the cheetah just came out last year so it's still pretty new and so is the v-ride. maybe you could start with a v-ride and then add a cheetah later on.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

More votes please. Your input is needed.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I chose a Vride, its more versitle than a zero turn, I was going to need a large zero and a small walkbehind for my yards and didnt want to fool with the costs and additional maintenance of running two machines, so i picked the 52 vride, Its large enough and fast enough for my large yards but is also nimble enough for my smaller ones. Sure there are some things i would change on it just like anyone would with a machine or car/truck but overall very happy with mine.
John Deere 455 Diesel 60"
John Deere JX75 21"
Craftsman 21"
Echo blower/trimmer
Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dooea anyone like there 46 v ride
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
scag , turf tiger , v-ride