Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Better business phone?
iPhone 68 67.33%
Droid 33 32.67%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I have an old flip phone from verizon and am thinking about getting a smart phone. I am looking at the Casio G'zOne Commando. Does anyone use this phone? I'm looking for some feed back on it. I'm looking at this one because it's ruggedized. My current on is as well and am very happy with it. I was checking out some apps for it. Some look interesting but don't know if I would use them other than for radar. I was hopping this thread would help me decide but hasn't helped much. My contract ran out a year ago so I was looking into upgrading but it's an extra $30 a month just to have a smart phone. I just don't know if it would be worth the extra money each month. I also use the same phone for personal and business.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicsMaine View Post
As somebody already said, a smart phone is not a NECESSITY to run a business. But, if you and I are in the same neighborhood, and I get that email from a homeowner on the street, asking for a quote, I will respond immediately and possibly get the job, especially if I am on the street, I can do the lawn TODAY. My business won't tank with out a smartphone....I actually do not have one, but just ordered a Galaxy S2 from sprint....but I do believe that I will be more EFFICIENT in using my smart phone in conjunction with the software that I use to run my business.

In the end, if I can do things more efficiently, I can be more competitive with my pricing and still make the same money as those that need to charge more. Uh Oh, now I started an argument on low balling! LOL
no argument from me on low balling, although i fail to see how responding immediately allows you to be more competitive with your pricing. my prices are what they are whether i call someone back immediately or i call them back a week later.

now on to the immediate response. go right ahead and call them back or email them immediately and go ahead and service the property the same day of estimate.

i never perform a service on the spot. doesn't matter how busy or not busy i am.

being able to perform services on the spot sends the message that your not busy leaving people to wonder why you aren't busy and the reasons they come up with are usually negative. reasons like maybe your work isn't up to par or your pricing is too high.

to be fair i will and have checked emails and voicemails while out during the working day. if an address is left on the email or voicemail and its in the area i'm in for that day i will usually return the call or email so i can stop during my route to look at it. otherwise if it's not on my route for that day i will wait until the evening hours to respond. but i will NEVER service a property the same day i do the estimate.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The more competitive aspect is due in part to how I run the back side of my business, of which, a smart phone is a big part....or will be once I have it in my possession. As for servicing a client on the spot, I do it when ever possible. If a client calls me because their company hasn't shown up for a week or two, and if I can do it, I will absolutely do it on the spot for them. First come, first serve. I also don't think it shows that we don't have the work, it shows that we are attentive and will respond quickly to their requests. JMO.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicsMaine View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot, Droid for me.
I would appreciate your Droid calling my Blackberry.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL! I just saw this Barry, and still waiting for the Droid to come in... should be tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdnate View Post
I have an old flip phone from verizon and am thinking about getting a smart phone. I am looking at the Casio G'zOne Commando. Does anyone use this phone? I'm looking for some feed back on it. I'm looking at this one because it's ruggedized. My current on is as well and am very happy with it. I was checking out some apps for it. Some look interesting but don't know if I would use them other than for radar. I was hopping this thread would help me decide but hasn't helped much. My contract ran out a year ago so I was looking into upgrading but it's an extra $30 a month just to have a smart phone. I just don't know if it would be worth the extra money each month. I also use the same phone for personal and business.
The commando is not a bad phone, but it has a lot of glitches in it. It freezes up all the time and the email server does not work half the time either. And if your not accustomed to touch screen, it doesnt have the smoothest touch controls either. Hope that helps.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonenterprises View Post
The commando is not a bad phone, but it has a lot of glitches in it. It freezes up all the time and the email server does not work half the time either. And if your not accustomed to touch screen, it doesnt have the smoothest touch controls either. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the input. This will be my first smart phone so it will all be new to me.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I use an Iphone. And Love it. This argument about whether or not a smart phone is necessary is pointless. Most of us use the features on a smartphone more for personal use rather than business use anyway; and if you're going to say that they cant be used as tools for business than you are naive. If you want to stick with the basics, then good for you.
1996 Ram 2500 12 valve CTD
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
2 Walker MT 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Old 02-07-2012, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision8m View Post
I use an Iphone. And Love it. This argument about whether or not a smart phone is necessary is pointless. Most of us use the features on a smartphone more for personal use rather than business use anyway; and if you're going to say that they cant be used as tools for business than you are naive. If you want to stick with the basics, then good for you.
oh i think the tools can be used for business.

i just don't think they are NECESSARY like some claim. when i think of necessary items for our business, i think of lawn mowers and trimmers. without them you can't cut the grass and trim things up.

sure its nice and convenient to be able to check email from your phone or check the weather on your phone but you can function through each and ever day 100% without those tools.

the more you rush to return phone calls or emails the more people come to expect it. i prefer to train my clients that if they call or email me i might not return there phone call or email right away and they might have to wait a bit for me to get back with them. i don't want my clients expecting a call or email right away.

i don't return any calls or email right away no matter how important it is, personal or business.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
i don't return any calls or email right away no matter how important it is, personal or business.
You seemingly want control so badly - that you're continually forcing your customers (& friends?) to wait..........................on you??? (yawn)

Catering to your clients (to a degree) allows them to feel special...and is an excellent foundation for customer service.

BTW, I'm having a lot of fun with this 'exchange' of ideas(??)!!
Keep on keeping on!! Best to you in '12!!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings