Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2012, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I'll investigate Ammonium Sulfate a little more thx.
What commercial ferts out there have this form of N in it?
Don't know what might be in your area. I get mine from one-ap Tim. I know there are not a whole lot available as urea is a cheaper source on N.

For a triclopyr weed killer, have you tried Horsepower or it's ester based counterpart Cool Power? I'm experimenting using escalade 2 and spiking it with turflon ester as needed for getting the hard to kill weeds, mainly violets.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Barricade + N and K.

Wail until app 3 to add Iron. The spring green here is awesome withot x-tra Iron.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spring green is very dependent on the type of grass and the individual cultivar. The sod-quality Kentucky Bluegrasses are notoriously slow to green up in spring. Naturally, a baseball stadium will want something that greens up sooner.

Thinking about Iron experiments, Pieper.

I will have to check on the fall fert plots. Fert applied at different dates in fall. Oddly no snow this week.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs up

I used iron last year on all my rounds. Couldnt tell the difference from one lawn to another the first and second round. Such lush growth here up til June. 16-0-4 50% xcu w dimension for my first two rounds this coming year. Hopefully this cuts down on the mowing for me a little and also saves a couple bucks.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
OK - for guys with northern turfgrasses only....

What is your product of choice for 1st round (fert + pre, pre only, etc).
AND
Why do you keep going with it year after year OR why are you switching it up this season?

I have been using 17-0-0 with .28 prodiamine and while I am fairly satisfied with crab control, the fert end of things just does not provide a super quality green up. I realize some of the green up may be dictated by what is applied late fall, so perhaps that is my issue??
That's what I used last year and I was not thrilled with the fertilizer response and most certainly not the longevity. I'm thinking of using the same thing this year but spiking it with FE/SO4 if I can get the calibration right. I try to target 4 months of release from prodiamine. Too bad science can't give us an economical and sure way to post crab or I would skip the pre and just start with a complete fert at a very high percentage of slow release and lots of goodies. I also like the idea of doing a blanket app on the second round with Dimension but that won't last through the July/August mass bloom period anyway. I sell a standard program of 4 apps. Not enough to do it the way I would like but I get almost 4 lbs down in 4 apps anyway.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I'll investigate Ammonium Sulfate a little more thx.
What commercial ferts out there have this form of N in it?
MESA is AS and methylene urea. It is the backbone of my fert mix and the fall apps are great. I did go with AS on all my late season/dormant feeds that took place the end of November. Those were on top of my straight MESA apps that went down the first of October. Excellent color this winter.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

13-0-0 andersons with dimension , 1/2 LB nitrogen

blanket spray-trimec 992
spot spray violet and ground ivy with t-zone
lawnboy 21
bobcat 36 48 wb
redmax trimmers blowers
traler vac 16hp vanguard
scag sw52a-17ka
350 dump

lesco spreaders and tanks
Old 02-10-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as FE goes, the faster the grass is growing the quicker FE will be used by the plant and sheered off with the mower. Great results come with fall apps when the grass really slows down. I did a mid October app with molasses that held up very well for 2 1/2 months.
I'm a huge believer in using FE. As a golf course superintendent I used to spray out the end of my greens apps in the rough by the shop. One time I had to stop the cushman to do something and I forgot to turn off the sprayer. I gave one spot about a 10X rate of iron and it was the only green spot (dark green) left in the rough during the major drought we had that year. Carbo's baby!