Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Lefet's Avatar
Lefet Lefet is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
Jury's still out.
Would a rebuild carb kit be something that should be included in periodic, (ever other year or so) maintenance?
Still a question without an answer


Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Its all snake oil.....motor honey...muffler bearing remover.....kanooter valve treatment....etc....
Should have Lefet alone.......clean the carb and the fuel system and it won't take 7 minutes to run good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Whats the best way to go about this?
__________________
Lefet Enterprises LLC
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-10-2012, 08:24 PM
dutch1's Avatar
dutch1 dutch1 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Jayhawk
Posts: 2,167
Ed, the quality dip type carb cleaner disappeared off the shelf, my best guess, 15 to 20 years ago. I don't even remember the name now, but as I recall it was a very alkaline(lye) solution. It cleaned up varnish and crud in short order but you didn't want to leave a carb with plastic parts in it for an extended period of time. More than likely, EPA regs caused it demise. Have tried a gallon of Berryman's and NAPA's stuff--not impressed. Since then, it's air and the cheapest brake cleaner I can find. Some of the old heads will recall the good stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
Ed, the quality dip type carb cleaner disappeared off the shelf, my best guess, 15 to 20 years ago. I don't even remember the name now, but as I recall it was a very alkaline(lye) solution. It cleaned up varnish and crud in short order but you didn't want to leave a carb with plastic parts in it for an extended period of time. More than likely, EPA regs caused it demise. Have tried a gallon of Berryman's and NAPA's stuff--not impressed. Since then, it's air and the cheapest brake cleaner I can find. Some of the old heads will recall the good stuff.
Hell yeah, the old stuff would take the finish off and diisolve a carb if you left it in too long. only brass floats survived. Rough on your hands too. too many numbnutz dumping down the drain helped eliminate it. Nothing as good since. Even Gumout spray doesn't seem to have the same zip.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-10-2012, 09:08 PM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,008
Dutch is right...the carb soaking solution they sell anymore are an exercise in futility.
They eat plastic and don't touch the varnish that they are supposed to dissolve.
Brake cleaner is they way to go...it also helps to get a flow chart on the carb to know where and how
The air and fuel move through the carb. Then you can know which passages are open as well as the
Ones that need more cleaning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
Still a question without an answer




Whats the best way to go about this?
Nope, I wouldn't open one if I didn't need too. Like I said many models don't even have kits available. Replacements usually are too exspensive.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-11-2012, 05:11 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Dutch is right...the carb soaking solution they sell anymore are an exercise in futility.
They eat plastic and don't touch the varnish that they are supposed to dissolve.
Brake cleaner is they way to go...it also helps to get a flow chart on the carb to know where and how
The air and fuel move through the carb. Then you can know which passages are open as well as the
Ones that need more cleaning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Before I sit these carb in this Mechanic in a bottle I am taking out all the diaphrams and the needle. I think some of the carb have passages that nobody can find. I got the perfect candidate for the stuff I cleaned up a BR420 carb a few weeks ago that was leaking out the carb. Used brake cleaner after taking it all apart. Put it together and it was working for a week today I pulled it off and leaking again. I am going into the bath with it. Also got two hand blowers that start real hard and into the bath they go after tearing them down.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Lefet's Avatar
Lefet Lefet is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Nope, I wouldn't open one if I didn't need too. Like I said many models don't even have kits available. Replacements usually are too exspensive.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!!
__________________
Lefet Enterprises LLC
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!!
Just reread my post. Meant to say INEXPENSIVE. I've found new ones for 25 bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Lefet's Avatar
Lefet Lefet is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 1,885
OOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Now THAT changes it to a whole different lite!
__________________
Lefet Enterprises LLC
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-11-2012, 06:52 PM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,008
You mean that we have been hashing this whole snake oil thing around ,
For a $25 carb????.........Pulleeeeeeze.....

Knew we should have "LEFET" alone..........
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 PM.

Page generated in 0.07391 seconds with 10 queries