Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-12-2012, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
20 miles? Pack a picnic basket and make a day of it!
Nah, I honestly have not had any problems with my equipment that were fuel related and I don't use any additives. I think it's all in people's heads.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2012, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Nah, I honestly have not had any problems with my equipment that were fuel related and I don't use any additives. I think it's all in people's heads.
Posted via Mobile Device
Now you sound like the government.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2012, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Now you sound like the government.
Posted via Mobile Device
I seriously don't have any probs with my equipment...I have an old Stihl homeowner unit that's 8 years old, never even put a plug in it, starts and runs just fine. I don't drain the gas out of it either. Hell I have nothing to gain by lying...I just must have good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlMechanic View Post
So is there a mechanic in the bottle? I'm confused.
Yes it cost $55 for a small pail full of it with a mesh cloth basket for holding
the carb items. I may start another thread as I get more experience with the product. I may be gullible but I think this is a winner. I never believed you could take a carb off and soak it in something and it would clean it up. With this stuff I take the carb apart and do a basic clean up and then put it in the bucket. At this time I am not putting in the diaphrams and gaskets. I leave it in over nite. The way I look at it you lose nothing in using this stuff. I see debris in the bucket and the darn carb parts come out pretty darn clean looking When a carb needs a kit them obviously you need a new kit. So far I have had good luck with three carbs run thru this stuff. I have probably 20 carb that more than 5 years old that i intend to run thru this stuff. I think I will get ultrasonic bucket to speed up the process.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Yes it cost $55 for a small pail full of it with a mesh cloth basket for holding
the carb items. I may start another thread as I get more experience with the product. I may be gullible but I think this is a winner. I never believed you could take a carb off and soak it in something and it would clean it up. With this stuff I take the carb apart and do a basic clean up and then put it in the bucket. At this time I am not putting in the diaphrams and gaskets. I leave it in over nite. The way I look at it you lose nothing in using this stuff. I see debris in the bucket and the darn carb parts come out pretty darn clean looking When a carb needs a kit them obviously you need a new kit. So far I have had good luck with three carbs run thru this stuff. I have probably 20 carb that more than 5 years old that i intend to run thru this stuff. I think I will get ultrasonic bucket to speed up the process.
Thats chem dip you can buy at an autoparts store. I use a vat with an agitator. One shop I worked at we had a ultrasonic vat that work quite well.

I got your "mechanic in a bottle". Its called dont use month old fuel EVER. I have done more than my share of carbs but yet never have to even touch the ones on my equipment going on 5 years now.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlMechanic View Post
Thats chem dip you can buy at an autoparts store. I use a vat with an agitator. One shop I worked at we had a ultrasonic vat that work quite well.

I got your "mechanic in a bottle". Its called dont use month old fuel EVER. I have done more than my share of carbs but yet never have to even touch the ones on my equipment going on 5 years now.

How are you going to pour an ultasonic cleaner into your tank?
Are they selling nanobots at NAPA?

You guys are omitting one very important step when using cleaning solvents on carbs.
The solvents eat the sealants around the welch plugs. If you don't reseal them,
The carb can flood and the welch plugs can fall out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am trying to load a picture of the bottle from another thread ...ignor me if I mess it up

.http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.p...5&d=1328235501
Old 02-12-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
How The solvents eat the sealants around the welch plugs. If you don't reseal them,
Posted via Mobile Device
This is a good point the one I got in cleaner now has welch plug and I didn't take it out. So will super glue seal them up or use something else? I had mixed feeling about the need to pull the cap off? YOur thoughts on that.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I use fingernail polish to seal the welch plugs. Seems to work fine.
Stihlmechanic should know the proper sealant.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
I use fingernail polish to seal the welch plugs. Seems to work fine.
Stihlmechanic should know the proper sealant.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fingernail polish for external plugs only. Nothing seals permanently to the internal welch plugs so IF and when I need to replace a plug I dont, I just replace the carb. Years ago, before ethanol, fingernail polish worked. With ethanol, nothing seals permanently and with carbs priced at 30 bucks msrp, it only makes sense just to replace it. The only repair I will do to an old carb is replace a stiff metering diaphragm or leaking inlet needle. Cant put alot of time in an old carb when labor rates are 75+ an hour.