Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need advice from my fellow experts

Well, my little fertilizer company has grown to the point of needing a stand-on. I really don't want to venture too deep just yet. I have an offer from someone for a PG Ultra that hasn't been used to spray with. It has cracks in the tank that could be epoxied or just replace the tank. It has the 5 hp Briggs pull start. The company has used it for dry apps for two seasons. Guestimated hours at 500. The offer is 1500.00.

What will this machine need repair wise other than the tank this season to cover 20-30 acres for 4 apps. Transmission??? Engine??? Just from your experience.

The greatest minds in the business are on here. I could sure use your thoughts!

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently combing through the archives for all the issues people have had with this machine. I'm sure there are some of you that know it like the back of your hand though that can summarize all the important issues with this machine.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Decent price but the ultra was a step in the wrong direction. A lot of issues. Any machine they made is more reliable than the ultra. I had 3 with the hopes that I could keep 2 running....
Old 02-14-2012, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
Decent price but the ultra was a step in the wrong direction. A lot of issues. Any machine they made is more reliable than the ultra. I had 3 with the hopes that I could keep 2 running....
Very much appreciate the feedback. Your thoughts are confirming what I have been reading on here this afternoon. Sounds like a lot of tinkering and little fix it jobs. I think at best I would offer $1000.00 if the engine is not showing any signs of problems. In my area Magnums with replacements parts done and in perfect shape are $4000.00. The Ultra at 1000.00 with the possibility of having to go with the Honda retro would be 2600.00. Makes $4000.00 seem like money well spent. Of course, get a season at 1000.00 and a few odd dollars might work also. ???
Old 02-14-2012, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you are willing to deal with a few issues then I would offer 1000.

Honestly, 1000 is all I would expect to get out of the 2 that I have that are still running. They are now back up machines, I bought a triumph last winter to replace the 2 of them.

We run them every day tho, so downtime is unacceptable. If you have time between rounds to baby it a little bit you should be able to get thru the season. This will allow you to put money away while being productive and get a machine that will be more long term for you.

I have considered the pg upgrade on the ultras as my engines have 1000+ hours on them and are literally falling apart now. I have just had too many issues with the spray systems to warrant the 2000 into the machines, I would rather put that money to a smaller z spray to compliment my max at this point.

Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions
Old 02-14-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
If you are willing to deal with a few issues then I would offer 1000.

Honestly, 1000 is all I would expect to get out of the 2 that I have that are still running. They are now back up machines, I bought a triumph last winter to replace the 2 of them.

We run them every day tho, so downtime is unacceptable. If you have time between rounds to baby it a little bit you should be able to get thru the season. This will allow you to put money away while being productive and get a machine that will be more long term for you.

I have considered the pg upgrade on the ultras as my engines have 1000+ hours on them and are literally falling apart now. I have just had too many issues with the spray systems to warrant the 2000 into the machines, I would rather put that money to a smaller z spray to compliment my max at this point.

Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions
Great advice! I'm going to start with a blunt 1000.00 offer. Too much info on this model and almost none of it good. This is what I needed to know. Thanks Turf Hokie!