Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

great hedge trimmers

I have a pair of echo hedge trimmers and the carb keeps going out dealer says that he has the problem with alot of echo trimmers. They are pretty big on selling stihl products. I probably use my trimmer 3-5 hours regularly not including clean ups. What is your favorite brand and model stihl echo redmax or ?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have echo trimmers too. Overall very reliable....except the prime bulb and fuel line have been replaced from ethanol blended fuel.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Echo too about 4 years old, never done anything to it but replace the primer bulb, no problems beside that, but just got a new one Red Max and is working good so far...
Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo is easier to maintain than Stihl. I use both brands, and have others.
The Echo's are lighter and easier to manouver quickly.
Stihl is a bit heavier, but non the less rugged

To me, it doesn't matter what brand of hedge saw I use as long as the blades are tight, sharp and clean. Particularly for shaping cedars.

If the blade isn't good and sharp, you get white stringy needle ends all over the hedge.
It's kind of like the difference between your hand and a skeletons fingers.

An older hedge saw that isn't as tight in the blades but is clean and sharp, will still work well on many deciduous shrubs.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the info what model echo are you running im running the echo HC 150. What do you use on your blades ive been wiping them down with bar oil.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

we have both brands. echo has carb issues and recoil issues for whatever reason on hedgers only. stihl has issues staying together. all of them keep loosening blade bolts, in a very irritating fashion. i think i might have a fix, but basically each brand has its own issues.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo Models in Canada are most likely lettered and numbered differently than what you can buy.

I have a bunch of Echo HC 1500's that are three footers, the other long echo saws are SHC 2401's, HCA 260's, SRM 2400's. These engines and carbs can be interchanged with alot of the string trimmers we have too. (2401, 2100 etc.)

We have an echo power pruner pole saw, that has a chainsaw head besides the hedge saw blade.

Our Stihl products include HS 45 short hedge saws and Stihl KM55r long saws.

Our saw lengths are 2, 3, 6, 7, nine feet and fifteen feet.

All of our hedge saws are double sided for better productivity.

There is a selection of long straight shafts and also pivoting saw shafts in our arsenal.

The Echo Carbs. are easy to maintain. Pull them totally apart, clean them carefully with carb. cleaner and an old tooth brush and most of the time they work great.

A generic carb kit for me is $25.00. Alot of times, the carb just needs to be cleaned of fine silt that gets into it. If you can't blow it out with a compressor, try your computers compressed air can and make sure all of those tiny holes and ports aren't plugged.

You can also use a spray can of car and truck
brake cleaner to clean things up

Stihl is challenging to fix and the gas filter is harder to change.

All of that vibrating does loosen off the saw blade bolts. We check them every time a saw is used. (due dilligence)

We keep a canvas bag attached to the saw users gas can with some spare blade nuts bolts and washers just in case. The bag also has a bee sting pen, wrenchs, screwdriver, basic first-aid things and some rubber gloves. This saves alot of time, instead of running back to the truck to fill up or do a minor repair.

To stop the loss of nuts, try doubling up on them and using a lock washer or lock bolts.
Normally both nut and bolt are tightened snug to the blade and then you back off about a half turn so you have a bit of play on both sides.

l prefer to use WD-40 on my blades to clean and lubricate them. We also clean them up with a wire brush attachment on a reversible drill, and dremil type-dowell shaped grinding stones that also go on a reversible drill. I buy them at H.D. They're larger than a dremil...about the size of the end of your pinky finger.

You can clean the blades with brake cleaner if you want, but oil them every-time.

We also have a few electric saws(and blowers) A/C and D/C just in case there is an issue with too much noise in an HOA or if a home owner wants quieter equipment used

Finally, there are always extra gas filters and clean air filters available in the field for all of our 2 cycle equipment

I have pictures on Facebook. Please go have a look: Dr New Earth, or Terra Nova Landscaping Services, Tri-Cities Landscaping, Coquitlam Lawn and Garden and a few more places.

If you google My lawn site. com name, you can back track to the company websites.

Remember, I'm Dr New Earth and not Doctor Who???

Last edited by Dr.NewEarth; 02-15-2012 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Go Canucks Go