Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2012, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmykubish View Post
...how much weight would you reccomend?
Shoot, sorry, forgot to address this part of your question.

I can't, in good conscience, even throw out a number. Too little and it will be ineffective, too much and it could be really bad. You could end up with the front end too light and go over backwards.

How about I teach you to fish instead...

But first, let me throw in my favorite disclaimer... THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION!

ZTR's tend to handle best when the weight bias is 18%-20% front and 82%-80% rear. Just remove vertical CofG from the equation because they are all similar enough for what we are talking about. Stray just a little from these numbers and the handling degrades quickly.

It is also best to keep the weight as close to the center of rotation (the rear wheels) as possible. Read this if you're wondering why...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia

Good luck Jimmy.

Q
Old 02-18-2012, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimQ View Post
Shoot, sorry, forgot to address this part of your question.

I can't, in good conscience, even throw out a number. Too little and it will be ineffective, too much and it could be really bad. You could end up with the front end too light and go over backwards.

How about I teach you to fish instead...

But first, let me throw in my favorite disclaimer... THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION!

ZTR's tend to handle best when the weight bias is 18%-20% front and 82%-80% rear. Just remove vertical CofG from the equation because they are all similar enough for what we are talking about. Stray just a little from these numbers and the handling degrades quickly.

It is also best to keep the weight as close to the center of rotation (the rear wheels) as possible. Read this if you're wondering why...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia

Good luck Jimmy.

Q
thank you gotcha. ya i will experiment with the weight then. my model is a Z3815. how/where would you reccomend adding the weight? some kind of wheel weights?

besides handling, how would you review this machine? as far as cut quality? I think its alright. the deck pitch is very hard to adjust and get in right. the way they designed the adjustment system is crazy. I got the machine for a really good price with low hours. If i could do it over again I do not think I would buy this machine again

Tags
marks , ruts , turn , turning